OHV Riders Rights and also Politics This forum is for political and open discussions only. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum stays in this forum.

The Nanny State

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja BRP
I don't want to speak for everyone, but I kinda like having some common sense laws. Helmets and seatbelts mandatory for anyone under 18, if you are an adult and don't want to wear your helmet, thats fine, but you shouldn't expect people to go to excessive lengths to save your life after an accident. I mean, come on, you CHOSE not to wear proven safety equipment, why should large amounts of money be spent to save your life?
You could say the same thing by saying "You chose to ride a motorcycle, so **** on you." Or how about "You chose to drive an old car and not the highest safety rated car, so we'll let you rot on the side of the road.". At what point are you going to draw the line? With this slippery slope logic, the only ones worthy of care are the ones who took every possible step to be safe... including 4 wheels, 5 star safety rating, full crash gear including flame-retardant suit, perfect vision, in the prime of their life with excellent reaction times, and being well rested. If the poor sap didn't go to every conceivable length to be safe, then to hell with him.

You may see it one way, but what gives you the right to force your views on someone else? If someone wants to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, you should be happy they're exercising they're right to choice... even if you don't agree. If you see a giant fatass with a big jug of soda, you should be happy that we have the right to eat ourselves to death in this country. And when you get sick or hurt, you have the right to medical care just like anyone else.

Most people are overweight in the US and food can be argued as the #1 reason you'll tax the medical system. Helmets.... not even a fraction of a drop in the bucket.

Sugar causes diabetes, heart disease, dental issues, and a whole long list of ailments. Ban sugar. Its 1000000000000000000 times a bigger deal than helmets.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by oldmattb
I think the helmet laws came about when the states realized how much health care was costing them. If they can force you to wear a helmet, it might save them a few bucks.

If they could be reasonably sure you would die in an accident, they would probably say helmets are dangerous because they block hearing and vision, and should be outlawed.

Matt B
I think its a ploy to get more ticket money out of you under the guise of safety. If you don't wear a helmet, you'll probably die and cost the state less money.

Around here we had an exception to the seat belt law. If you drive a pickup, you don't have to wear a seatbelt. After the 2008 crash, the law was changed to get more money.

In New Hampshire, there was no seat belt law. After 2008, there is. When states need more money, they make new laws so they can fine you more.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jgar
Its kind of funny.
We who are in the trades deal with this all the time. OSHA says over 6' up you must be tied off with a harness. The guys will moan and groan about it at 6'-7'-8' up. Even tho if you fall from those heights you can blow out your ankles, fracture your skull and so on. Yet when you tell the same guys to go up 60'-70'-80' with no fall protection they will cry like a little girl, boo whoo
So if we are free market, freedom kind of men. The guys who refuse to go 70' up with no fall protection should be replaced with those who will, right?
See where I'm going with this? When it comes to safety there has to be some standards and someone has to set them.... Even if they seem silly like tying off at 6'.
Here are your real men

When someone employs me to ride motorcycles, then they have the right to tell me what saftey equipment I must wear. Or, I have a right to complain about lack of safety.

If I'm out climbing buildings on my own free time, OSHA can't say a thing.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
I think its a ploy to get more ticket money out of you under the guise of safety. If you don't wear a helmet, you'll probably die and cost the state less money.

Around here we had an exception to the seat belt law. If you drive a pickup, you don't have to wear a seatbelt. After the 2008 crash, the law was changed to get more money.

In New Hampshire, there was no seat belt law. After 2008, there is. When states need more money, they make new laws so they can fine you more.
Pretty sure there is to-date no helmet law in NH for motorcycles. Remember a license is a privlage not a right. When you sign for your license you are signing a contract and you can not negotiate.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Here are your real men FF551-160131 Empire State Building Construction Stock Footage - YouTube

When someone employs me to ride motorcycles, then they have the right to tell me what saftey equipment I must wear. Or, I have a right to complain about lack of safety.

If I'm out climbing buildings on my own free time, OSHA can't say a thing.
Yea, they are real men for sure !!!
You do raise a good point about employment.
If you ride strictly on your property do what you want, safe or not . When you ride public and or other private property there is a liability risk for the owner. I'm not trying to argue. Just playing a little devils advocate and theory vs. reality.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Pretty sure there is to-date no helmet law in NH for motorcycles. Remember a license is a privlage not a right. When you sign for your license you are signing a contract and you can not negotiate.
Don't need a license for an atv or dirt bike or even a bicycle, but helmets are often required anyway.

Yea, they are real men for sure !!!
You do raise a good point about employment.
If you ride strictly on your property do what you want, safe or not . When you ride public and or other private property there is a liability risk for the owner. I'm not trying to argue. Just playing a little devils advocate and theory vs. reality.
That's how we learn

My point was and is that people favor a nanny state forcing things they agree with and do anyway, but complain when the state takes the next logical step that ends up being an inconvenience.

I think that's why Ben Franklin said when you trade freedom for security you get neither. Once you go down that road, its hard to go back without complete revolution and starting a brand new gov all over again. Give the gov and inch, they will take a mile and you won't get it back.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Tell nanny to ban salt!

More fatal food: Salty diets leading to 2.3M deaths each year

Read more: More fatal food: Salty diets leading to 2.3M deaths each year | CTV News

Old 03-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Tell nanny to ban salt!

More fatal food: Salty diets leading to 2.3M deaths each year

Read more: More fatal food: Salty diets leading to 2.3M deaths each year | CTV News
Look on the labels of a lot of pre package food. Sodium can be as high as 1600 mgs or more. A lot of companies are blending sodium with potassium lactate as a means of lowering sodium intake as the body can absorb higher levels of potassium. But as my doctor said one of the final chemicals use in lethal injections is Potassium Chloride as it's good on stopping the heart. Chemicals are gonna get you one way or another unless you hunt your own meat and grow your own vegetables and throw the salt shaker away

Old 03-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

When it comes down to it, bad laws are laws that require us to protect ourselves. Good law penalizes someone for abridging the rights of or harming someone else's life and/or property.

It seems to me that every time the government mandates something it ends up costing us more and more money. Things like air bags, anti-lock brakes, tire pressure monitoring systems, etc. add thousands of dollars of costs to new vehicles. We have no choice in the matter. Do I think they save lives? Yes. Do I think they should be mandatory? No. It should be up to the market to decide not the government.

I choose to use a seat belt, love abs, use a helmet 98% of the time riding my quad, etc. Being told that I have to just annoys me.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Look on the labels of a lot of pre package food. Sodium can be as high as 1600 mgs or more. A lot of companies are blending sodium with potassium lactate as a means of lowering sodium intake as the body can absorb higher levels of potassium. But as my doctor said one of the final chemicals use in lethal injections is Potassium Chloride as it's good on stopping the heart. Chemicals are gonna get you one way or another unless you hunt your own meat and grow your own vegetables and throw the salt shaker away
Sounds like the gov needs to step in and mandate low sodium content in food since people aren't smart enough nor do they care to read the labels and make a decision.

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
When it comes down to it, bad laws are laws that require us to protect ourselves. Good law penalizes someone for abridging the rights of or harming someone else's life and/or property.

It seems to me that every time the government mandates something it ends up costing us more and more money. Things like air bags, anti-lock brakes, tire pressure monitoring systems, etc. add thousands of dollars of costs to new vehicles. We have no choice in the matter. Do I think they save lives? Yes. Do I think they should be mandatory? No. It should be up to the market to decide not the government.

I choose to use a seat belt, love abs, use a helmet 98% of the time riding my quad, etc. Being told that I have to just annoys me.
Sounds right to me.

Except ABS. I blame ABS for an accident I had in the snow. If one wheel locks, the ABS kicks in. I wouldn't want it to kick in until all 4 wheels lock. Just because one wheel is locked up, doesn't mean the other 3 won't have more stopping ability. I disconnect ABS on all my vehicles and remove the light bulb.

Quick Reply: The Nanny State