deer/elk/bear/moose rifles

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 02:05 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default deer/elk/bear/moose rifles

A 1600 lb. bear in Wisconsin??? You been feeding them steroids???

I have a Remington Sendero in .300 Ultra. One fine rifle!! Take a look at those ballistic tables. No cartridge carries as much energy down range as the .300 does.

Old 12-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, it was in alaska, there aren't any bears, except in the northern wisconsin area, the bear was 12 foot 6 inches at the shoulders

yeah the ultra mag 300. rem. can drop a bear or moose or elk at 500 yards easily, it all just depends on visibility.

later

Old 12-10-2003, 02:25 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lived for a while in Alaska, and fished a lot in British Columbia when I was younger (before all the Canadian gun bans!!). Once while fishing in B.C., my dad watched a grizzly grab a cow, drag it down to the lake where he was fishing (thankfully in a boat), and drown it!! We also have a lot of bear problems here in Calif.! In my local mountains a few years ago, a kid was KILLED by a bear. In the Sierras, I have had a bear walk through my camp in broad daylight, not to mention at night. So, we take bears real seriously!!

If I have to DEFEND myself, the LAST thing I want to be armed with is a big, clumsy, scoped rifle (either bolt action or auto). Of course, if you are out hunting, that will be what you have. But, hunting season only lasts a few weeks, so most of the time you are outdoors, you have other, better options.

My personal choice is a COMBAT SHOTGUN, backed up by a LARGE CALIBER REVOLVER. At just 26.5 oz., the new S&W 329PD is a nice choice in revolvers. And, something like a Wilson Combat Standard Model Remington 870, for a shotgun. At the very least, put a deer barrel with rifle sights on your hunting shotgun for the off season, if you can't justify the cost of a tricked out combat rig. And, it is a great idea to have a light on it, because most encounters will be at night (when you get your camp raided). There are lots of marvelous shotgun slugs out there now (not at all like it was in the old days!), that will give devastating penetration (and a 12 gauge hole isn't small!!). TRAIN AND SHOOT FOR COMBAT, not like a hunter! Combat distances will be something like 10 ft., not 500 yards.

And for you Californians, do you know that it is LEGAL to have a loaded gun in your campsite!!

Old 12-10-2003, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

yeah, i am eventually going to make my own stand that has 8 x 8 wooden posts held into the ground with cement, it will be like 20 feet off the ground, i might need to reinforce the bottom so that a bear can't like ram the stand, either that or have big *** cement posts that go up and bolt onto the main part of the stand, which will be a comfortable area, have a chair plain old chair, and it will have the whole mother load, i don't want to make it too comfortable, other wise that takes away the hunting fun, i just want to be off the ground and bring plenty of ammo for my gun

i would bring my 300. and a 45. pistol as a side arm

HEY ARE BOLT ACTIONS LIGHTER THAN SEMI-AUTO RIFLES? i like good quality rifles, i like the weight i don't care if its light or heavy

later

Old 12-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Trailblazer

Well you guys are not going to belive me but I use a custom .50 BMG.

I had it made a few years ago by a nice gentleman out of WI. 3 months later he died in a car crash on ice so I got one his last ones. I never plan on selling it.

I load my own ammo with 225 grains of IMR5010 powder under 750 grain A MAX ( Hornady) projectile. It will put 3 rounds in the same hole a 300 yards.

This picture is at the range, notice the round next to the soda can.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...ictures033.jpg

This is the same rifle standing next to a young lady both are standing on the floor.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...ictures322.jpg

Old 12-10-2003, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

that is nice! where would i buy one of those, can you deer hunt with those, the deer would be in pieces, could make a good sniper rifle.

later

Old 12-10-2003, 10:36 PM
Trailblazer

You could hunt squirrel with it if you want. Some times I shoot armor-piercing / incendiary rounds. This way I can kill them, gut them and cook them all at once !

There are several companies making bolt action and semi auto .50 BMG rifles but none are cheap. They start at about $1,895.00 up to $10,000.00. I figure I have about $3500.00 in mine

The scope rings cost $130.00 a set. Normal rings would let the scope shift and you cant use any cheap scope, they will not hold up to the recoil or the shock from the muzzle brake. Expect to spend about $600.00 - 1,500.00 on a scope.

Custom reloads go for $2.00-7.00 a round .Surplus ammo runs about $1.10 a round. I reload for quality control reasons and to save a couple dollars. I can pump out "plinker" ammo for about $.75 and my target ammo for about $1.75 I get about 4 reloads then I get rid of the brass.

And you though ATV were over priced !

Old 12-11-2003, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

i don't need that much killing power, my rifle is enough, my rifle costs me about 550.00

.50 cal is only good for the army and killing a robber in ur house!, but all in all a 45.pistol will do just find

later

Old 12-11-2003, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer

Most of the time I take an old Remington 700 BDL in 300 Win Mag.

I have only realy used the .50 a couple times for shoots over 300 yards.

Old 12-11-2003, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

I love semi-automatic Remington rifles... I should mention that I'm a gunsmith; 742's and to a lesser extent 7400's, keep food on the table and parts on the ATV. I have more of those rifles come in my shop for problems than everything else combined.

Quick Reply: deer/elk/bear/moose rifles