ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Other ATV Topics (https://atvconnection.com/forums/other-atv-topics/)
-   -   riding boots???? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/other-atv-topics/132664-riding-boots.html)

outNfront 01-10-2004 07:30 PM

riding boots????

I have been thinking about buying a pair, but don't know that I would like them. Do they keep your ankle from moving or do they break in? JUst wanted some advice.

reconranger 01-10-2004 07:50 PM

riding boots????

Boots are an important part of your safety gear, especially if you don't have NERF BARS! The boots are stiff in the ankle, but not so stiff that you can't shift, once they are broken in. The foot area is hard shelled, so if you run over your foot or smash it on a rock, no big deal. And with all the lower leg support, not so great a chance of breaking a leg!

I recently bought new boots. I got the Alpinestars Tech 6 (smooth sole) for desert riding, and the Tech 4 with ATV sole for mountain trail rides. The Tech 4's are softer and easier to walk in, but have less protection. The Tech 6 is stiffer, but offers more protection. I would say most pros wear Tech 8's.

RookWV 01-11-2004 12:19 AM

riding boots????

They allow decent forward and up/down motion but very little lateral motion....it helps you ankle from rolling over. They will also help protect you some in the event your leg gets caught under the quad....I just bought a pair of Tech 6's and love 'em. Much more comfortable than my Answer Team2 boots but a slight bit heavier.

If you do a lot of stopping and walking then get something with the ATV sole, if you're in the mud a lot walking then definitely get ATV soles....or wear thick underwear and put padding in your back pockets. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Chris142 01-11-2004 01:29 AM

riding boots????

I bought some boots and hated them, Made by Answer. They would not bend any at the ankle. Couldn't shift or use the rear brake. After a year of this misery I gave them away.

Are there boots that will bend enough at the ankle to shift or brake?

rescuediver 01-11-2004 01:40 AM

riding boots????

I received Alpine Tech 6's for Christmas. At first, they were stiff to where I thought I was goiong to have to adjust my shifter lever. But, after walking around with them on for 1 1/2 days and about 4-5 rides, they started to break. I think after a couple more rides, and some more walking, they will be broken in and I will not need to adjust the shifter.

quiksilverz71 01-11-2004 01:53 AM

riding boots????

I got a pair of Fox tracker boots for Christmas from the GF, I haven't worn them yet. Are they suppost to be loose at the top, I have never had riding boots before. After reading these posts I'm wondering if I want to wear them or not.

Kraw 01-11-2004 06:31 AM

riding boots????

I've been looking at some too. All my local dealer has is O'neal and Thor. I couldn't get the Thors off my feet fast enough! The O'neals felt pretty good. They were only 100 bux with the ATV sole.

I would like to try some Alpinestars, since everyone raves about them. But I can't see putting down 150-300 bux on a pair of boots I've never tried on. Our local dealers really suck.

Mars 01-11-2004 09:55 PM

riding boots????

As with any shoe/boot you have to be the judge.
I currently own Oneal ATV boots. They are the best for agressive trail ridding IMHO. They have a three latch system which alows more movement. They also have an hiking boot type tred for better footing in the muck. I have owned Alpinestars & MSR, both excelent boots but made for dirt bike riders not ATV ridding.
It's all reletive. If I'm just out with the kids trail riding my $14.99 Walmart hiking boots work just fine.

RookWV 01-12-2004 08:42 PM

riding boots????

The moment I put on a pair of Alpinestars I knew I wanted a pair.....found a great deal on a pair and bought 'em. Any riding boot is going to be much stiffer than a normal hiking/hunting boot....they are stiff for a reason.

rescuediver 01-12-2004 09:58 PM

riding boots????

Mars' how accurate is your speedo?