torque converter vs centrifugal clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque converter vs centrifugal clutch

OK hello Im new to this forum but I have a few questions. First my questions are is it really worth the money to buy a torque converter over a centrifugal clutch. Now I want to build a 2 wheel drive single seater off road go kart. It has no suspension and runs a live axle, now what Im wondering is the centrifigual clutch good enough for what I want to do? I plan to run about 22 inch tires on the rear and maybe 16 inch tires in the front. Will the centrifigual clutch be able to engage about 300 pounds including rider and also running a 12 horsepower kohler motor? Or do I need a torque converter to get my buggy to engage properly? Well that was the first question my next is.... Are kohler decent motors to run in dune buggy, mine is out of a 77-78 john deere 312. It needs to be rebuilt and everything but the block is cast iron and needs a lot of work. Has anybody else used this motor? Also can anybody give me a name of a supplier of performance parts for that motor? I want to run a stroker kit and a bigger cam and also if possilbe a new carb or a superchager. thanx for ur time.

Old 03-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque converter vs centrifugal clutch

well from the sound of it a centrifical clutch will overheat and burn up i would get the torqe converter kit they work quite well for your application you can buy them from( JC WHITNEY ) OR (NORTHERN TOOLS) CATALOG for roughly 135.00 complete kit as far as kohler motors i would use it, its industrial cast iron block and cyl rather than a briggs alum block and cyl there is a web site (cartworld) for anything that you will need hope this helps nick