ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Other ATV Topics (https://atvconnection.com/forums/other-atv-topics/)
-   -   Head-on: One dead one critical (https://atvconnection.com/forums/other-atv-topics/171813-head-one-dead-one-critical.html)

ss97 09-09-2004 10:27 AM

Head-on: One dead one critical

This was posted on another forum, there was actually a picture of the quads in the NY Newsday story. Both quads were wrecked pretty good.

Long Island man dies in an All Terrain Vehicle crash

Monday September 06, 2004
MANORVILLE, Long Island (AP) A Long Island man was killed when his All-Terrain-Vehicle collided with another A-T-V at a sand pit in Manorville. Suffolk County police say 41-year-old Robert Calderone of Mineola was pronounced dead at the Stony Brook University Medical Center.

Police say Calderone's yellow Suzuki A-T-V collided head-on with a red Honda A-T-V being driven by 29-year-old Tyler Greenwood of Manorville. Police say Greenwood is in critical condition at Stony Brok.

A third A-T-V was involved but the driver was not hurt.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

BigSix 09-11-2004 03:00 PM

bummer....a good friend of mine lost his 18 year old sister this past 4th of july due to an atv accident...she was riding on a reletively wide trail thru the woods at an average pace (the normal that everyone rode on that trail) when some drunk on a banshee came the other way around the sweeping turn topped out and out of controll and hit her head on, killing her instantly, he only boke his arm....cops said only reason he didnt get hurt cause we was so loaded....dont think he got in any real troublew either cause the campground was private property...kinda crappy cause if it would've happened on a road with cars he'd be in prison...but since not it was just an accident.....like hank williams jr. said.." i'd love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes..and shoot him with my old forty-five"....think when you ride wear a lid and dont get trashed .....

Delta12 09-13-2004 01:27 PM

This happened right down the street from my house(Manorville) The person died of blunt head trama and internal injuries. The other guy is not doing well, it really shook up the neighborhood, a lot of people are sealing theirs.

tbonessis 05-23-2005 12:49 PM

garyc660R 05-23-2005 02:26 PM

Originally posted by: tbonessis
the article you're referencing is my brother's accident. its taken me forever to find this (not that i was looking, i just happened to google his name b/c i am bored at work)...it wasn't anybody's fault, there was a lot of dirt kicked up and htey were coming at each other from around a corner, collided head on. my brother is still recovering, has no use of his right arm at all (probably for the rest of his life) and has some brain damage from the accident. please be careful. he was wearing a helmet but it still didnt help that much. hes lucky hes alive...and my family is grateful as well. however, i feel the need to stress to all of you atv riders that this can happen to anybody. he never thought hed almost die from an accident, hes been riding for years and has had motorcycles and other land vehicles for at least a decade. you read about accidents like his in the paper and say: what a shame, but it isn't until your family member or you go through it personally that you realize how easy it is to lose your life, in a heartbeat. anyway, not to preach because i know he loved riding and still misses it, just understand that life is precious and you need to be extra careful. if not for yourself, for your family and everyone who loves you.
Hope your bro pulls through OK. Sorry to hear of the other families loss.

garyc660R 05-23-2005 02:39 PM

Thats pretty tough for 3 atv's to get caught up in 1 accident....what was going on? My first thought is 2 were riding side by side and another guy coming the other way comes around a blind turn and has nowhere to go.

KegCan 05-24-2005 10:40 AM

I read about one in the NYTimes that happened in Brooklyn(i think)not too long ago where two kids were playing chicken with no helmets.One lost.

86LT250RFatty 05-24-2005 10:40 PM

i have that artice hanging up in my room. Hope tbonessis's brother pulls through. My prayers go to him.

LTZ 05-27-2005 01:52 AM

Sorry to hear this, that is very sad. Hope your brother pulls through and makes a complete recovery quickly. Prayers.............

alivetyler 01-13-2016 11:13 AM

I'm alive!!!

That was a terrible accident I was involved in. It took me over ten years to finally get back to "normal". Loooong stay in hospitals. I was in for 6 months and was wheelchair bound. I wasn't able to walk till about 7 months after the crash. I suffered 9 brokens bones, bled out 5 1/2 pints, had severe head-trauma, sustained an acute nerve avulsion from C7-T2 (stretched and tore the nerves from my spine to my arm) leaving me with a paralyzed right arm. I'm forced to wear a sling forever but I can't complain because the other option is what happened to Robert Calderone. My prayers go out for him and his friends and family.
I'm a changed man now and moved from NY, got rid of all my toys and moved on.
Thank you everyone for your comments and prayers...:thanks::thumbsup: