Atv death....:(

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atv death....:(

[quote]
Originally posted by: LEP7MM

We can't blame any manufacturer because of the weight of the machines.

Agreed....I need a heavy quad to move 1-2ft snow in the winter

Old 08-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LEP7MM
Some of you guys may be ticked at me for saying this, but don't let compassion get in the way of better judgement.

Based off the original post, it appears this guy was riding double with his son, on a road. We can't blame any manufacturer because of the weight of the machines. Sad but true, the guy was in wrong by disregarding the manufacturers recommended usage.

Don't get me wrong, I am as sorry as anyone that the ATV family has lost another rider (we also lost a couple recently here in MN). But we do need to be responsible and accountable for our actions. As sad as it is, these incidents only fuel the anti's fire.
when i said dirt road, it was a dirt farm road on privat farm land.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:27 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: ss97
that's horrible.....

I know this is a tragedy that is no one's fault, but I wish these friggin' manufacturers would lighten these huge utility ATVs a little bit (especially Polaris)...... they keep making them bigger and faster and heavier......

One of the reasons I choose to ride a sport ATV is because I don't want to get crushed by my quad.

Last year I was riding with a buddy who has an Arctic Cat and I came around the corner to find him stuck under his quad totally helpless, and he's a big guy who could easily move a 350-400 or maybe even 500 pound machine off of himself....... but his Cat weighs something like 650lbs and he was totally pinned. He said he was there for almost 5 minutes, if it had been water he'd be dead....

I don't know maybe it's just me since they seem to be in such huge demand.......
for the same reason i ride a dirtbike. i dont really try crazy hills on my utility quad out of fear of that.

its such a sad scenerio. the kid will always remember his dad.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LEP7MM brings up a great point, and besides the dad's sacrifice, one of the first things I picked up on. Now that quad could be a 2-up model, we just don't know from the facts given. It is truely sad that they didn't have another riding companion along that could have saved them both. One good reason why I rarely ride alone. My heart goes out to that family and child for their loss.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:19 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As more and more of these machines get out on the trail, I think we are going to see more and more big heavy ute accidents, until the government steps in and bans them just like they did with the 3-wheelers. The industry can be wise and either exercise some self control, or be greedy for a short time but ultimately lose control compeltely to the regulators!

Old 08-29-2006, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
As more and more of these machines get out on the trail, I think we are going to see more and more big heavy ute accidents, until the government steps in and bans them just like they did with the 3-wheelers. The industry can be wise and either exercise some self control, or be greedy for a short time but ultimately lose control compeltely to the regulators!
more and more accicents will happen but quads are still safer than 3 wheelers

Old 08-29-2006, 03:40 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like the quads (mostly very light 2-stroke sport quads in those days) where there to take over when the 3-wheelers were gone, I think the Rhino type vehicles will be the replacement for the big utilities. At least they have a roll cage when you dump it over! But, there are many places where I ride that if you went over the edge strapped into a Rhino, you would still probably get killed. No vehicle is going to ever be completely perfect.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

The industry needs to excercise some control? I don't think so. The consumers are the ones who need to excercise the self control. It doesn't matter how big or how small the machine is. The only dangerous thing about an ATV is an inexperienced, irresponsible, or disrespectful rider.

The guns in my closet aren't dangerous until "I" load them and "I" pull the trigger. We are the ones who make these machines slow down, go fast, climb hills, go down hills, etc.

In short, their function is a direct result of our input.

DO NOT blame the ATV's here. Everyone thinks that 3 wheelers are dangerous. No they're not. It's some of the people who ride them who aren't reponsible enough to ride within their own limits and the manufacturer's recommendations.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

reconranger, you should not use this accident as bases for your rediculous argument, just show a little compassion for the kid by not making this a rediculous argument!

Old 08-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

just because recon ranger thinks heavy utes should be banned, they shouldent.

**edited by atv connection moderator** Heavy isnt bad! why do tanks weight more then 50 tons? i wanna see him push even a foot of WET snow with a 350 pound 4x4 quad.

get this even a 500 pound would have trouble.

Fred