How has the "economic crisis" really effected you????

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How has the "economic crisis" really effected you????

My 401K's are down in value by about 1/5, but I am not retiring any time soon. We have seen the market go up and down many times in the past, but if you are in it for the long haul, there has always been a net gain.

Other than that, the price of gas is way way down, so I am doing a camping/riding trip this weekend, that requires about a 2 hour drive. Gas will no doubt go down even more, and spring/winter/fall are the desert riding seasons here, so this thing isn't really hurting me in any practical way. Kind of wondering what all the fuss is about....election year I presume!

Old 10-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How has the

I know that the end of the year is always a slow down on the business side. The end of an election year is always even slower. The company I work for just cut everybody's schedule down to 37 1/2 hours a week in attempt to save our profit sharing bonus at Christmas time. : \ They expect everything back to normal in January.

There is a lot more going on with the economy right now but, to delay the inevitable political debate I'll leave it at that.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts
Default How has the

Well, I'm not retiring any time soon either, and when I do, not as comfortably as I was going to. But regardless of what any politician is trying to tell me, it's not in my hands, so all I can do is just sit back and wait to see which exec's butt they save. They're getting a golden parachute, but all I think I'm getting is a shower. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Gas is dropping, but it's also about time to change from "summer" gas to "winter" gas. And every time it switches from one to the other, it always goes up.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How has the

Higher gas prices and food prices has caused me to tighten my budget a little, but my wife, buddies, and I all have our jobs. In fact my company I work for just had it's biggest year, but we do a lot of gov't jobs and jobs for global companies so the American economy doesn't effect us as much.

Like everywhere, house values sure have plummeted and new homes being built are at a halt. I'm not selling my house anytime soon so it doesn't effect me.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!
Default How has the

Gas prices are "way, way, down"? I don't think so! 3 bucks a gallon is not reasonable. I cant seem to get ahead these days. My income isn't increasing but prices of everything else are going up. Food, gas, health care, insurance, energy...etc. I think a lot of this problem is due to people living beyond their means. Hell, even the government lives beyond its means, that's why the country is in such debt. Nobody is content with what they have. If there were a way to end corruption and greed, we'd be ok.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default How has the

Myself being a simple person and not being able to personaly change a single thing that happens on Wall Street will take a days drop in gas prices becasuse God only knows how long the prices will stay low. I can complain all I want about where thing should be in life but what happens with this whole situation happens as there is not a whole lot that I can do about it other than move along and enjoy life as much as I can.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How has the "economic crisis

Well since I was just layed off I'd say it is now affecting me pretty good.......my company is spending $250,000 more on fuel and travel for the sales department this year, so they had to cut back on the technical team... so I got the cut.......

Oh well, at least Information Technology is one of the few in this economy that is still apparently alive... I've been getting interviews so I'm sure it is only a matter of time...

One thing that stinks is I cannot get unemployment since apparently NY unemployment is going bankrupt and cannot take any new applicants.

Of course.....my wife's 401K and mine are totally destroyed.....

And the money I had made in the stock market is just about gone..... and my initial investment will be in danger in a few weeks at this rate....

Old 10-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

Well so far hast effected me much except gas prices and my 401k, but my company has let 6 salaried middle managment people go this week.... glad im just a systems tech peon at this point

Old 10-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Guess being in the security business pays off at times like these.

HR especially likes having an armed guard around when they let any person go.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Scootergptx

Guess being in the security business pays off at times like these.

HR especially likes having an armed guard around when they let any person go.</end quote></div>

LOL I dont doubt that one bit

Quick Reply: How has the "economic crisis" really effected you????