Chest Protectors v Roost Deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chest Protectors v Roost Deflectors

So some places call them roost deflectors, others call them chest protectors, are they the same thing? Seems like something that's meant to slow down rocks wouldn't have quite the intergrity of something to stop a flying body.

Anyways I'm looking into one for my spirited trail rides and I am curious which ones people like. I'm looking for something not so heavy-duty such as the EVS: VEX and the SixSixOne Defender Lite.

Any opinions? I'm an normal sized 5-11, 180 lb guy if that changes anything.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Yes they are the same thing I have both the the Six Six One and a Fox Airframe I like the fit of the the Fox Airframe better but the Six Six one has been the more rugged of the two. I have had to replace the sholder pad on The Airframe because it broke while trying to shove it to my Rubbermade riding tote. Does not meke me feel real good about what might happen in a real accedent!

Old 11-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

Do you have the 661 Defender Lite or a different 661 model?

Old 11-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

To be honest I am not sure I bought it from Rockymountain on clearance just to get me buy while my parts for the Airframe came in.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

From what I have seen, the ones that call themselves Roost Deflectors are just that. They offer minimal protection compared to a chest protector. I have seen deflectors with open backs(just straps). Have you ever looked into the body armor that goes under your jersey? Those are designed to redirect the force of an impact. Spread it over a larger area which will result in a lower chance of broken bones.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Stoopidbot

From what I have seen, the ones that call themselves Roost Deflectors are just that. They offer minimal protection compared to a chest protector. I have seen deflectors with open backs(just straps). Have you ever looked into the body armor that goes under your jersey? Those are designed to redirect the force of an impact. Spread it over a larger area which will result in a lower chance of broken bones.</end quote></div>

yeah those high impact foam ones? They look like they'd make you sweat like a mother. Are they all I'd need?

Old 11-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

They have some that are vented extremely well. With one of those you do not need a protector on the outside.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

Yes they are the same thing I have both the the Six Six One and a Fox Airframe I like the fit of the the Fox Airframe better but the Six Six one has been the more rugged of the two. I have had to replace the sholder pad on The Airframe because it broke while trying to shove it to my Rubbermade riding tote. Does not meke me feel real good about what might happen in a real accedent!</end quote></div>

Actually they are not technically the same thing......

A roost guard is usually foam or neoprene and is really designed to just stop the rocks from hurting you....it usually fits under the jersey and close to the body. They don't generally have shoulder pads either.

A true chest protector is plastic like the Fox Airframe......they are usually worn over the jersey (sometimes under) and offer thick plastic and shoulder pads with hard foam impact absorbing density.

The plastic chest protectors are designed for crash impact while a roost protector is just for roost and is not designed to help much during a crash.

That is crazy your Fox Airframe broke like that..... mine has been through three hard hits and nothing has broken or cracked at all..... they are generally one of the toughest tested ones on the market. And I don't usually buy any Fox equipment.......I have to wonder if your was maybe defective or something.....

Old 11-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I usualy ride Fox everthing exept helmets as they dont fit my Big head [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] very well and this is the fist problem I have ever had. i was going to call fox and complain but after I found out the replacement part was only 25.00 I just bought it to save the hassle and I want my fox Airframe back asap as it just fits me that well!

Old 11-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

I guess its just confusing because on Dennis Kirk the Fox Airframe thing you guys have been talking about is called "Fox Racing Airframe Roost Deflectors." So what I'm getting from this is that if its plastic and covers the back some too, its a chest protector, and if its foam and/or doesn't cover your back its a roost deflector? So that would make the EVS VEX a chest protector correct?

Also has anyone tried the under jersey ones like the EVS Revolution 4 & 5? They look pretty nice.

Quick Reply: Chest Protectors v Roost Deflectors