1993 - 95 unknown year Yamaha Kodiak 4x4 idling issues, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 07:25 PM
426Hemicuda1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 - 95 unknown year Yamaha Kodiak 4x4 idling issues, need advice

Hi, I just purchased an unknown year 1993 - 1995 Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4, which at the time of purchase I was told it needed a new carb and muffler. We sprayed a drop of starter fluid into it and it did fire up fine. Once home, we pulled the old mikuni carb and it was definitely toast. Grooves in the input tube where the cable throttle went, hung the throttle, the main jet was corroded beyond belief. I ordered a replacement carb off of e-bay. At the same time, I also ordered a main jet kit (thru many recommendations) from Dyna-Jet to fit 1993 - 1998 models.
We put the brand new carb on with a new in-line fuel filter & throttle cable & spark plug & battery, and it idled only, and when you try to accelerate, it dies. I pulled the carb, put in the new Dyna-jet main jet needle per instructions for my area (less than 5000 elevation) put the clip on the third ring and re-assembled. Once again, it idles only, then dies when you try to accelerate the throttle. I've tried the carb with and without the filter & snorkel on, to no avail.
I recall in the past having a Honda with a plugged muffler with the same issue, so I removed the muffler, leaving only the header pipe. Tried to fire it up. The first time it idled, took one attempt at trying to accelerate and then died again. All attempts after = Idle only, then die when trying to accelerate. I've adjusted the main jet two full turns out, later 1-3/4 turns out and still the same. New, non-ethanol gas, new carb, new fuel lines, new air filter, new sponge air filter factory cover. With only a header pipe, there are no exhaust obstructions.
I'm at my limit for trying to figure out why it idles only. Typically, they either run or the don't, but this is baffling. I've seen quite a few posts and took the advice on most, including the Dyna-Jet solution, all to no avail. Can anyone offer any productive advice I haven't tried yet? Thanks in advance, Mark

Old 07-29-2016, 10:25 AM
426Hemicuda1

Is this posted correctly? Can anyone see it? I SURE NEED some help & Advice. ANY Advice appreciated!!!

Old 07-29-2016, 01:11 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can see your post just fine but don't have any answers for you. Maybe if you post in the Yamaha section of the forum you'll get some help. Good luck.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, going out on a limb, but hows the flow of gas to the carb? If it's slow, you might remove the tank, and turn upside down into a clean 5 gallon pail, see if it comes out clean. If not clean the tank, maybe filter the gas before reusing it, and put another inline filter. I was shocked how much crap was in both of my Arctic Cats when I got em used. Next, double check the float height in the new carb. That is the PMS screw you are turning, btw. I'm guessing you put in a new spark plug? I'd stick with DynoJets setting advice, at least until you get it running normally. Lastly, hate to say it, but it could be spark related, stator, cdi box, coil, etc. Put exhaust and air filter back on, btw. You could be making a lean condition, exacerbating the problem. Blow out the fuel line back into the tank when you drain into a clean bucket, to clear any partial blockage. Also, if it has a reserve setting, try that too.