Gift Idea- Slime Spair

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 12:13 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Gift Idea- Slime Spair

Flat tires are good for nothing but we've happened upon an affordable gift idea that can bring piece of mind to the ATV/ UTV operator on your list:

Product Spotlight: Slime Safety Spair - ATVConnection.com

Old 11-03-2016, 01:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I assume once you use up the slime you can still use the tire inflator? Otherwise, its a $40 can of tire slime. I guess you can buy another can of slime for $10 and reuse the inflator for that. I do like the idea of having a compact tire inflator but it seems that its only function is to pump the slime into the tire.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:45 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks like a good kit to have if you have room to carry it.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:35 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Greg- yes it is infinitely refillable. The difference between this unit and a regular bottle of Slime is that the compressor refills the tire as the Slime seals the puncture. Without the Slime refill, it still works as a very portable and lightweight 12v air compressor.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I've had minor issues with Slime compressors from time to time. I've contacted the company and they go above and beyond what I needed to fix any problems, including sending out a whole new unit.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ATVC Correspondent
Greg- yes it is infinitely refillable. The difference between this unit and a regular bottle of Slime is that the compressor refills the tire as the Slime seals the puncture. Without the Slime refill, it still works as a very portable and lightweight 12v air compressor.
Ok, that's what I was wondering. Not a bad deal then. There are 2 forms of slime though. One is much thicker than the other and works much better. This is a good emergency kit but from my experience, slime is just a so-so repair for atv tires. That's actually all its meant to be but many use it as a permanent repair. It only costs a little more to take a tire to a tire shop and have them put a tube in it and that is a permanent fix. They hate slime as they have to clean it off to put in the tube and remount the tire. But if you're in a pinch and have a flat, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get home or back to the truck. Having some tire plugs also isn't a bad idea either as they will repair larger holes that slime won't fix.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

My experience with slime has been good for the first few years...then the slime fails and your tires start to leak all over the place. I used it many years back for punctures and as a preventative. However years down the road I started to see a watery green stuff start oozing from my tires and it was the old slime that turned into green water and bled out from my tires. They all had to be unmounted and cleaned out, the slime was just a bunch of water. For an emergency it works well, but do be prepared to take the tire off and clean it out later or down the road you will be in for a big surprise when your tires start going flat again.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
My experience with slime has been good for the first few years...then the slime fails and your tires start to leak all over the place. I used it many years back for punctures and as a preventative. However years down the road I started to see a watery green stuff start oozing from my tires and it was the old slime that turned into green water and bled out from my tires. They all had to be unmounted and cleaned out, the slime was just a bunch of water. For an emergency it works well, but do be prepared to take the tire off and clean it out later or down the road you will be in for a big surprise when your tires start going flat again.
If you got it to last for years, then I would say it did its job. Slime isn't meant to be a permanent fix anyway. Many people put it in new tires so that if they get a small hole, it will instantly seal itself. If you do need to actually get the tire repaired at a tire shop, they will charge extra for having to clean it up. In order to reseat a tire, they have to get all the slime off. I generally limit my slime use to lawnmower tires. With the slow speeds they go, it does seem to last forever.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put it in my 30" Mudzillas about 2,500 miles ago, never had a leak, but I'm not sure that you could shoot a .45 thru the tread of one of those. I suspect if you get a small leak, at least it will be visible. Slime reminds me of the green "mucus" guy on the Mucenex commercials, haha.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by hydrex
I put it in my 30" Mudzillas about 2,500 miles ago, never had a leak, but I'm not sure that you could shoot a .45 thru the tread of one of those. I suspect if you get a small leak, at least it will be visible. Slime reminds me of the green "mucus" guy on the Mucenex commercials, haha.
I'm more impressed that you got mudzillas to last that long. I would have guessed tires that aggressive wouldn't even last for half that many miles before all the tread was gone.