New Feature: ATV Industry Facts

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 12:54 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Without headlights I think there would be a lot more head-on crashes and close calls. My first ATV was green and anything on it that wasn't green was black. It was close enough to camouflage to make it hard to see. One that actually is camouflage would only be even harder to see. Most of the trails I ride are 50" with 2-way traffic and when the trails are wider people go faster and always want to take the inside of the curve no matter which side of the trail it is. The first thing you see is headlights if they have them on.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:32 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

This week we're exploring the early days of the ATV when the realization that 4 wheels can equal 4-wheel-drive struck:

https://atvconnection.com/articles/a...-facts-know-4/

Old 04-14-2017, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The main difference between 4wd and 2wd is how much further into the woods you get stuck.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
The main difference between 4wd and 2wd is how much further into the woods you get stuck.
Good one Moose, haha. I once got my 4x4 Ram stuck so badly in the woods, had to hire a big wrecker to tow me out. There is stuck and then there is really stuck.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:29 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First the "trikes", and then for safety reasons the 4 wheelers. When was that, maybe 1975? I wonder how many years went by between the 4 wheel, live axle, chain drive units before the first of the 4wd machines? I really wonder why they called them All Terrain Vehicles as they really didn't perform better than the average dirt bike.

Hey you old timers, when did the first ATV trails open? Here in Colorado dirt bike and Jeep trails were before ATVs were allowed. Many of them were deserted old mining roads.

I think of Honda being the first to recognize that the ATV could be utilized for more than bombing around the back yard. I'll bet they were one of the first to introduce 4wd and one of the first to build a "square" body so you could haul a hay bale, sack of feed, fence mending tools, chainsaws, hitch a small trailer and the like round the "ranch". Hey, let's call it a Rancher.

I think the "utility" factor really boosted sales of ATVs. 4wd "utility" ATVs, maybe introduced by Honda, was a game changer.

I need a "History of the ATV" book.

David

Old 04-14-2017, 10:33 PM
Moto Psycho

No history book but I found this online.

When you first discuss evolution, ATV’s are probably not the first thing that comes to mind. But, when you really think about it, ATV’s have evolved tremendously over the years. Both cars and motorcycles have been on the roads since the late 1800’s, but have you ever wondered how the booming business of 4-wheelers came to be? It wasn’t until about 100 years later that the idea of ATV’s was even conceived, let along put into practice. And when you go back to when the first prototype was created, the model idea just may surprise you.

We are all familiar with the term ATV (all-terrain vehicle), but the very first ATV ever created really was designed to function in ALL terrains- whether it be dry OR wet land. The very first ATV prototype was called the Jiger- invented in 1960 by a man named John Gower who had grown weary of trekking through feet of snow in order to cut his family’s firewood. His main goal was to invent a machine that was able to withstand the harsh Winters while assisting him in his daily chores. Running with chain saw engines, operating solely on a clutch system, the Jiger began to resemble a small boat made out of fiberglass. With the ability to run up to 30MPH on land and 8MPH in water, this machine sold with such success that Gower’s company ended up running out of business due to such high demands.

With engines progressing to up to seven horsepower, and popularity rising, ATV’s began selling for upwards of up to $595 USD. With this in mind, Honda continued to promote the sales of ATV’s and as the decade progressed, Honda’s biggest year in sales was ultimately reached in 1984. With 370,000 units being sold, the brand “Honda” made up about 69% of total ATV sales for the entire year!

The all-terrain vehicle originated as a tool to help farmers become more efficient during Winter months, and has continued to grow more than anyone ever thought possible! Interestingly enough, many of the applications for ATV’s have sprung from their owners, who have helped shape their growth and design.

While facing the tests of time, ATV’s have become more than just a farming tool, more than just a recreational vehicle, and are now seen as vital tools in a wide range of industries- from hunting and ranching to assisting in mobility for people with disabilities. Thus proving that with dedication and persistence, a simple idea can flourish into something incredible.

History of ATVs - Awesome Adventures

Old 04-15-2017, 07:29 PM
Back Country Explorer

Thanks kindly Jumbo: That is quite interesting article to me. I did not realize the "inventor" of the ATV was a farmer looking for a vehicle to go in the snow. We humans were "hunter gatherers" early on, an ATV would be of great assistance in that method of survival. A lot of folks use ATVs for hunting and gathering for sure.

As I mentioned earlier, in about 1971 I was involved in a little factory making "Swamp Fox" 6 wheeled skid steer "all terrain vehicle" that would float. It had a one piece fiberglass "tub". It was not a big success. But it was a very early year in the development of the ATV hobby. See post 7 above.

David

Old 04-15-2017, 11:04 PM
Moto Psycho

YouTube has some videos of Super Swamp Fox 6x6s. This one sounds like it's falling apart.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:32 AM
Back Country Explorer

Yup, that's a Swamp Fox. I'll bet the operator is about ten feet from getting stuck and getting muddy boots. I think the Swamp Fox is a bit of ATV history.

Here is a little date line history summary from SVIA. It talks a little about the milestones of the ATV industry. I found it interesting. Honda and the Japanese motorcycle folks certainly developed the market.

http://www.svia.org/#/aboutHistory

David

Old 04-16-2017, 01:46 PM
Moto Psycho

We've come a long way from the 7 HP 1970 Honda ATC 90. The 2017 Polaris Sportsman XP1000 has 91 HP. That's 13 times as much power, or to put it another way the Sportsman 1000 has 1200% more power than the ATC90.