New Feature: ATV Industry Facts

Old 06-22-2018, 05:02 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Did You Know?

While fuel injection has cemented its way in the ATV ranks, there are still an awful lot of carburetors around. One company says that its technology is being used illegally in many of them:

https://atvconnection.com/articles/a...d-you-know-12/

Old 06-24-2018, 08:06 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I applaud Wabro for fighting for its rights here in the good ol USA. We have patent protection laws that encourage creativity and investment so you will have a chance to reap some reward form all your hard work. Walbro is a good company. I hope they are successful in protecting their patents.

Gee, I wonder who is infringing on their patents?

David

Old 06-29-2018, 03:57 AM
Quad Patrol
Default Did You Know?

Warn knows winches and their latest design may change the way we look at these useful accessories:

https://atvconnection.com/articles/a...d-you-know-13/

Old 06-29-2018, 08:49 PM
Back Country Explorer

Yeah but: Many of us use our winches a lot for snow plow lifts. Kinda dumb, but that is what ATV snow plow manufacturers have decided to do How many of us have broken a winch cable or had winch problems lifting a 70 pound plow? I bet Warn could care less about this application. That is not what the winch was designed for.

The problem in my view is the winch does not have a lift limit switch to turn it off before it jams tight with full force. I worked in factories and every hoist I used had a limit switch so the hoist didn't jam itself tight by lifting too high. Sitting on my machine I can not see accurately when the plow is in the full up position, especially bulldozing snow and wanting to lift it to pile it higher.

I've tried the "Hall effect" magnetic switches with limited success. I haven't tried a synthetic rope or a rubber stop on the rope yet to help absorb the winch force.

I was hoping Warn included a lift limit switch in their new product.

David

Old 06-30-2018, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by dbj216
Yeah but: Many of us use our winches a lot for snow plow lifts. Kinda dumb, but that is what ATV snow plow manufacturers have decided to do How many of us have broken a winch cable or had winch problems lifting a 70 pound plow? I bet Warn could care less about this application. That is not what the winch was designed for.

The problem in my view is the winch does not have a lift limit switch to turn it off before it jams tight with full force. I worked in factories and every hoist I used had a limit switch so the hoist didn't jam itself tight by lifting too high. Sitting on my machine I can not see accurately when the plow is in the full up position, especially bulldozing snow and wanting to lift it to pile it higher.

I've tried the "Hall effect" magnetic switches with limited success. I haven't tried a synthetic rope or a rubber stop on the rope yet to help absorb the winch force.

I was hoping Warn included a lift limit switch in their new product.

David
Can-Am has one of the magnetic lift limiting switches. Mixed emotions about it. Electrical lines are very weak in my mind. Too easy to get ripped out. Not the easiest thing to install either. I went all of last winter without one and had no problems. I just used the front edge of the rack as a mark. When the top of the blade came up even with the rack I stopped pulling the line in. Worked well.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:44 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like how the drum and cable is in the middle of the winch instead of off to one side.

Warn and Moose both make screw-drive plow lift actuator systems. You don't even need a winch on your ATV to use them. I think Warn used to make one that was like a miniature winch.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:20 AM
Quad Patrol
Default Did You Know?

It's like Clash of the Titans between the AMA and the EPA each year. The EPA says we need more corn-based ethanol in our gas but the AMA says to keep it:

https://atvconnection.com/articles/a...d-you-know-14/

Old 07-06-2018, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

I hope the EPA doesn't get it's way. When they started using 10% here in Massachusetts, I saw a drop of 2 mpg on average in the truck I owned at the time.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:17 PM
Back Country Explorer

I lived in Iowa and Minnesota for 67 years. Ethanol is a big business for corn growers and towns with ethanol plants. Moose is right, the energy content of ethanol is less, thus less miles per gallon. You can run 85% ethanol fuel in your "flex fuel" vehicle if you want to, but your mileage will suffer. I think I read the energy spent growing and processing corn to ethanol is a bit greater than making straight gasoline. Ethanol does burn cleaner, lowering emissions. The government subsidies supporting ethanol, along with many other farm commodities is a classic case of "corporate welfare". If we had a choice, I bet many of us would not pay the extra $ per gallon for ethanol blended fuel. But many states mandate its use for the sake of clean air.

I do not remember reading NOT to use 10% ethanol blended fuel in my ATV, and I know I have filled it up with ethanol fuel many times. I better go back and check the manual.

David

Old 07-07-2018, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by dbj216
I lived in Iowa and Minnesota for 67 years. Ethanol is a big business for corn growers and towns with ethanol plants. Moose is right, the energy content of ethanol is less, thus less miles per gallon. You can run 85% ethanol fuel in your "flex fuel" vehicle if you want to, but your mileage will suffer. I think I read the energy spent growing and processing corn to ethanol is a bit greater than making straight gasoline. Ethanol does burn cleaner, lowering emissions. The government subsidies supporting ethanol, along with many other farm commodities is a classic case of "corporate welfare". If we had a choice, I bet many of us would not pay the extra $ per gallon for ethanol blended fuel. But many states mandate its use for the sake of clean air.

I do not remember reading NOT to use 10% ethanol blended fuel in my ATV, and I know I have filled it up with ethanol fuel many times. I better go back and check the manual.

David
dbj, is it added to diesel too? Was curious. I didn't think to look at the pump. Have a 2016 Nissan Titan with the Cummins 5.0L V8. I don't mind the urea injection. Bought the truck through Nissan Certified Pre-owned and filled the DEF fluid tank right away. Been over 1500 miles and gauge doesn't show that any has been used. Good by me.

Search this Thread