New Feature: ATV Industry Facts - Page 26 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

New Feature: ATV Industry Facts

Old 07-27-2018, 01:45 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by ATVC Correspondent View Post

Factory 2-stroke ATVs have gone extinct long ago. Or have that? One company has one that can bolt right in. Braaaap!

https://atvconnection.com/articles/a...d-you-know-17/
Now that would be fun!

Old 07-29-2018, 07:25 AM
Back Country Explorer

That is a big 2 cycle engine. I'm used to 2 cycles having multiple cylinders when they get of that displacement. I'm sure cost is a factor. I don't think the 4 cycle engine has grown very fast in the snowmobile market. I thought they would. You can't beat the 2 cycle engine for "power density" or power to weight ratio. And you can't beat them for lots of emissions. They are just not very clean burning.

David

Old 08-03-2018, 04:10 AM
Quad Patrol
Default Did You Know?

This luxury pontoon boat manufacturer has just been purchased up by someone who makes some pretty slick ATVs and side-by-sides:

https://atvconnection.com/articles/a...d-you-know-18/

Old 08-08-2018, 12:30 PM
Back Country Explorer

I did not know BRP bought Alumacraft in St. Peter,MN. I've been to St Peter many times, very nice Minnesota town; devastated by a bad tornado years ago. I had an Alumacraft canoe for 20 years and enjoyed canoeing the lakes in Minnesota. And I have a Can Am Outlander ATV. I found this Industry Facts quite interesting.

David

Old 08-08-2018, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I did not know BRP bought Alumacraft in St. Peter,MN. I've been to St Peter many times, very nice Minnesota town; devastated by a bad tornado years ago. I had an Alumacraft canoe for 20 years and enjoyed canoeing the lakes in Minnesota. And I have a Can Am Outlander ATV. I found this Industry Facts quite interesting.

David
BRP also bought out OMC marine years back, they were Johnson/Ecnrude outboard motors..they have become a big corp and also Rotax engines!

Old 08-08-2018, 11:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Following this!

Old 08-10-2018, 02:45 AM
Quad Patrol
Default Did You Know?

What's in a name? Many brands want to be present in the red hot SxS market but few can afford to build manufacturing factories from the ground up. Where there's a will there's a way:

https://atvconnection.com/articles/a...-did-you-know/

Old 08-10-2018, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Always had a feeling that Polaris was making side by sides for others that would then change the plastic and rebadge them.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ATVC Correspondent View Post

Factory 2-stroke ATVs have gone extinct long ago. Or have that? One company has one that can bolt right in. Braaaap!

https://atvconnection.com/articles/a...d-you-know-17/
Imagine that in a 50" Honda sport utv. Compact yet powerful and snappy quick.

Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I lived in Iowa and Minnesota for 67 years. Ethanol is a big business for corn growers and towns with ethanol plants. Moose is right, the energy content of ethanol is less, thus less miles per gallon. You can run 85% ethanol fuel in your "flex fuel" vehicle if you want to, but your mileage will suffer. I think I read the energy spent growing and processing corn to ethanol is a bit greater than making straight gasoline. Ethanol does burn cleaner, lowering emissions. The government subsidies supporting ethanol, along with many other farm commodities is a classic case of "corporate welfare". If we had a choice, I bet many of us would not pay the extra $ per gallon for ethanol blended fuel. But many states mandate its use for the sake of clean air.

I do not remember reading NOT to use 10% ethanol blended fuel in my ATV, and I know I have filled it up with ethanol fuel many times. I better go back and check the manual.

David
The manual for my Polaris says to use either leaded or unleaded gas with a minimum of 87 octane. And it says, "Do not use E-85 fuel", in italics. Nothing about E-10. One bad thing about ethanol in gas is that the corn they plant to make it is taking up space that could be used to grow many kinds of crops we could be eating instead. The price of vegetables and grains, and meat from the animals that eat whatever else could grow there, could all be a lot lower if they weren't growing so much corn for ethanol fuel.