New Feature: ATV Industry Facts

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 12:22 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

This week we're shedding a little light on who was the first to make a four-wheeler and why three-wheelers went extinct in a hurry:

https://atvconnection.com/articles/a...-facts-know-7/

Old 05-05-2017, 04:16 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've only seen 2 3-wheel ATVs on the trails. One rolled over for no apparent reason. IIRC there was a curve in the trail but a very gentle one. The other one I guess the guy took a curve too fast. He hit his foot on a tree and rolled the ATV. His foot swelled up and started changing color immediately. He had to take his shoe off before it swelled up too much. I keep thinking that if he was on a 4-wheel ATV he wouldn't have hit his foot, just the Nerf bar or floorboard.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:53 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gee the machines seem so small back then. Honda followed Suzuki closely with their 4 wheel machines if I recall correctly.

And I think Honda was the first with the "utility" ATV when they squared off the body work and but some hay bale racks on the machine.

This is a fun thread.

David

Old 05-12-2017, 01:30 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

This week we're talking navigation and those first ATVs to use satellites to get it done:

https://atvconnection.com/articles/a...-facts-know-8/

Old 05-12-2017, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dbj216
Gee the machines seem so small back then. Honda followed Suzuki closely with their 4 wheel machines if I recall correctly.

And I think Honda was the first with the "utility" ATV when they squared off the body work and but some hay bale racks on the machine.

This is a fun thread.

David

Don't have to go back that far, in 2000 I bought a new praire 300 atv and all anyone said id wow look how big it is !! 625lb and built like a tank. Now compare them to todays atv's, they are even bigger, but less weight so....where are they cutting corners? Never was a fan of the 3 wheelers, never made sense to me having just 3 wheels to ride on rough terrain, doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that won't work well. Thanks to some clear thinking people at Suzuki that didn't last long. I just can't believe how big todays atv's have become, I am short at 5'5" and not sure I could get on some of them !!

Old 05-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't consider gps a necessity but a great aid on the trails. It's nice to compare it to a map and my gut feeling as to where we are at any given point.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:18 PM
Moto Psycho

Can you plug an ATV with built-in GPS into a computer to update it?

Old 05-12-2017, 08:16 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jumbofrank: Yep, Garmin and others have website that allow serial number holders to download information to their GPS. I hope to download some Colorado trail system maps so I can actually "navigate" at a fork in the trail; especially when it's getting dark and I'm low on fuel.

My Can Am came with a Garmin Montana 680 GPS with a instrument pod mounting device to keep it charged up. It is a gimmick that helps raise the selling price. But I think it will be handy. I sure used my Magellan when snowmobiling years ago. It told me what trail takes me back where I came from.

David

Old 05-12-2017, 10:49 PM
Moto Psycho

I've updated my Garmin online a couple of times but when I saw the built in GPS like the Honda in the picture I wondered how do you get it in the house to hook up the computer?

Old 05-13-2017, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by dbj216
jumbofrank: Yep, Garmin and others have website that allow serial number holders to download information to their GPS. I hope to download some Colorado trail system maps so I can actually "navigate" at a fork in the trail; especially when it's getting dark and I'm low on fuel.

My Can Am came with a Garmin Montana 680 GPS with a instrument pod mounting device to keep it charged up. It is a gimmick that helps raise the selling price. But I think it will be handy. I sure used my Magellan when snowmobiling years ago. It told me what trail takes me back where I came from.

David
That setup with the AMPs power cradle is probably the best one I've seen for any off road machine. I had an old Garmin Nuvi 500 for years until it finally gave up last year after the Utah trip. I had a connection right to power on the quad so the batteries never ran out. The problem is that I used to go through at least a couple of the mini-USB connectors each year. The power cradle doesn't have that issue. Much nicer and I'm considering getting one for my Garmin Montana 610t.