New Feature: ATV Industry Facts

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 05:23 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

They got popular in snowmobiling then made the transition into ATVing. Now they're the most popular transmission on the market:

https://atvconnection.com/articles/a...facts-know-40/

Old 01-05-2018, 04:14 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Instead of 5 or 6 gears a CVT is like hundreds of gears, and it's always in the right one. The only OHV I owned before my ATVs was a snowmobile. When I got my first Polaris ATV it had a CVT transmission just like my snowmobile. And it also had a thumb throttle on the right, and a brake lever on the left side but not the right, just like my snowmobile. Learning to ride it was simple.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:10 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had a "cvt" on a farm sprayer back in the early sixties. It was called a "Salisbury" drive some some reason. It was lever operated, but functioned in the same manner. The farmer could put the engine on "high idle" and set the correct ground speed with the CVT. That way the farm chemicals could be applied correctly.

I had a 1964 "Silver Pigeon" motor scooter way back then too. It also had a CVT transmission, but this one did have the primary clutch. I rode the dumb thing to high school and then to work. It was cheap, rather dangerous, and street legal.

I spent a lot of my career building hydrostatic transmissions. These hydraulic units are like a CVT in that they are continuously variable. They also have a reverse direction. They are costly, but popular in lawn tractors to combines.

I have yet to take my CVT apart in my Overlander. One of these days.

David

Old 01-12-2018, 02:35 AM
Quad Patrol

You'd be excused if you never heard the name Tinger before as to date, none have found their way to the US:

https://atvconnection.com/articles/a...facts-know-41/

Old 01-12-2018, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Interesting rig.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:23 AM
Back Country Explorer

Well, the tracks would certainly tear up the trails as well as the backyard. It does look like a tank. I imagine the ground speed is not very high, but it would push and pull very well. No wheel slip with this machine. I hope the operator of the machine in that partially frozen lake knows there is not a deep hole three feet in front of him.

Maybe it costs as much as a tracked skid steer.

David

Old 01-14-2018, 06:37 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dbj216
Well, the tracks would certainly tear up the trails as well as the backyard. It does look like a tank. I imagine the ground speed is not very high, but it would push and pull very well. No wheel slip with this machine. I hope the operator of the machine in that partially frozen lake knows there is not a deep hole three feet in front of him.

Maybe it costs as much as a tracked skid steer.

David
It doesn't matter if there's a deep hole or not. It's amphibious and can cross lakes and rivers. Track

Old 01-19-2018, 01:53 AM
Quad Patrol

Until now, you may have come up with a bunch of excuses why you'd rather not spend your Sunday at the mall with your wife. If you happen to be located in Ohio, that is about to change:

https://atvconnection.com/articles/a...facts-know-42/

Old 01-19-2018, 12:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My local dealer used to be a Walmart. It was one of the original Walmarts, a non supercenter. They built a supercenter and the building was vacant for a few years. Turns out to be a perfect place for a dealer, the warehouse storage became the service center.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:47 PM
Back Country Explorer

I bet there will be a lot of retail space available in the future for cheap. Johnny O is betting big on motorsports sales. I read that truck, car, motorcycle, ATV, RVs, and the like will survive longer than other retailers (think Sears) as those large ticket items aren't yet available on the internet.

David