New Feature: ATV Industry Facts

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 09:45 AM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Moose: No ethanol in our diesel that I know of. There is soybean oil in biodiesel. Your truck, and mine, can take the 20% biodiesel. I don't run the stuff as we had trouble initially in Minnesota with it gelling at below zero temps (years ago). I understand that has now been resolved. Modern diesels run very clean with all their engineering advancements like ultra low sulfur diesel fuel, high pressure direct injection, exhaust gas recirculation, selective catalytic reduction (DEF injection), and particulate filters. All this required in the 2008 model year. These processes cost efficiency (miles per gallon) and add complexity, but the exhaust is very clean. Generally speaking, a diesel engine is about 30% more efficient than a gasoline equivalent.

Now, if only there were more diesel options in the ATV / UTV market. Hydrex is the only one I know of with a diesel ATV.

David

Old 07-08-2018, 10:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dbj216
I lived in Iowa and Minnesota for 67 years. Ethanol is a big business for corn growers and towns with ethanol plants. Moose is right, the energy content of ethanol is less, thus less miles per gallon. You can run 85% ethanol fuel in your "flex fuel" vehicle if you want to, but your mileage will suffer. I think I read the energy spent growing and processing corn to ethanol is a bit greater than making straight gasoline. Ethanol does burn cleaner, lowering emissions. The government subsidies supporting ethanol, along with many other farm commodities is a classic case of "corporate welfare". If we had a choice, I bet many of us would not pay the extra $ per gallon for ethanol blended fuel. But many states mandate its use for the sake of clean air.

I do not remember reading NOT to use 10% ethanol blended fuel in my ATV, and I know I have filled it up with ethanol fuel many times. I better go back and check the manual.

David
I think the only place locally to me that sells non ethanol fuel is the local Shell station. The 93 octane gas is supposed to be ethanol free and yes it does cost a lot more, about 70-75 cents more per gallon. I think its more of an issue with older carb machines. Most newer atvs and utvs are efi and it doesn't seem to affect them that much.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Hi Moose: No ethanol in our diesel that I know of. There is soybean oil in biodiesel. Your truck, and mine, can take the 20% biodiesel. I don't run the stuff as we had trouble initially in Minnesota with it gelling at below zero temps (years ago). I understand that has now been resolved. Modern diesels run very clean with all their engineering advancements like ultra low sulfur diesel fuel, high pressure direct injection, exhaust gas recirculation, selective catalytic reduction (DEF injection), and particulate filters. All this required in the 2008 model year. These processes cost efficiency (miles per gallon) and add complexity, but the exhaust is very clean. Generally speaking, a diesel engine is about 30% more efficient than a gasoline equivalent.

Now, if only there were more diesel options in the ATV / UTV market. Hydrex is the only one I know of with a diesel ATV.

David
I've only seen one old one. Think it was a Polaris.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

David
Noticed I can't even see any exhaust from the truck. Clean indeed.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:12 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Did You Know?

Michelin has decided its time to get into the track game. So rather than screw around, they bought one of the leading manufacturers of them. And it wasn't cheap.

https://atvconnection.com/articles/a...d-you-know-15/

Old 07-13-2018, 02:31 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to give mention to ASV Posi-Track in Grand Rapids, MN, since I'm from Minnesota. This company founder has a history dating back to early snowmobiles, and in fact founded both Polaris and Arctic Cat. He didn't see a bright future in snowmobiles and founded ASV instead to build "tracked loaders". Oh well. I understand ASV is pretty good at designing "tracked vehicle solutions" and sell their tracks to others. Textron owns ASV.

David

About Us | ASV Holdings, Inc.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:10 AM
Quad Patrol
Default Did You Know?

It sounds like something that could only be manufactured by Stark Industries but humans in robotic exoskeletons are building the machines we love:

https://atvconnection.com/articles/a...d-you-know-16/

Old 07-20-2018, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Do they have a, "Help me get out of bed in the morning", suit?

Old 07-27-2018, 07:22 AM
Quad Patrol
Default Did You Know?

Factory 2-stroke ATVs have gone extinct long ago. Or have that? One company has one that can bolt right in. Braaaap!

https://atvconnection.com/articles/a...d-you-know-17/

Old 07-27-2018, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Yikes! Crazy power.