New Feature: ATV Industry Facts

Old 10-26-2018, 04:20 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Did You Know?

The powersports industry is small but not impenetrable. There is one sight in particular designed to put employers and job seekers on the same page:

https://atvconnection.com/articles/a...d-you-know-29/

Old 11-02-2018, 12:50 AM
Quad Patrol
Default Did You Know?

It's only a concept vehicle so far but we have to admit, the line between SxS and pickup truck has been blurred forever:

https://atvconnection.com/articles/a...d-you-know-30/

Old 11-02-2018, 01:06 AM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now they need to build a high performance 4x4 utility ATV.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:39 AM
Quad Patrol
Default Did You Know?

Usually the government and off-roaders mix like oil and water but not in this case. A program vital to ATVers in many states is about to get some long-overdue funding:

https://atvconnection.com/articles/a...d-you-know-31/

Old 11-16-2018, 01:23 AM
Quad Patrol
Default Did You Know?

ATV manufacturers have been around decades prior to Honda bringing the US90 across the pond. This Canadian manufacturer has been at it since 1967 and is actually expanding its reach for 2018:

https://atvconnection.com/articles/a...d-you-know-32/

Old 11-16-2018, 03:24 AM
THE BERMINATOR

Before I bought my first ATV I was looking at an Argo. The lawnmower-type engine gave it a top speed of 20 MPH on land, downhill. I'm glad I found out there weren't any trails to ride them on before I bought one. If I drove one into a lake I think it would have to be registered with the state as a boat too. Driving on ice on public lakes would be fine since all ATVs with up to date yearly permits can do that. I didn't know they started making regular ATVs, or putting their name on some. I wonder if they had to pay Polaris for the Xplorer name.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Frank
Before I bought my first ATV I was looking at an Argo. The lawnmower-type engine gave it a top speed of 20 MPH on land, downhill. I'm glad I found out there weren't any trails to ride them on before I bought one. If I drove one into a lake I think it would have to be registered with the state as a boat too. Driving on ice on public lakes would be fine since all ATVs with up to date yearly permits can do that. I didn't know they started making regular ATVs, or putting their name on some. I wonder if they had to pay Polaris for the Xplorer name.
Been riding since the 80's and have only seen one out on the trails in Maine. Looked pretty beat up, to the point that I don't think he dared taking it out on water.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:29 PM
THE BERMINATOR

ARGOs would be good in a few places, like bogs and marshes, but not much good for riding trails. There are some ORV Trails here that are also ORV Routes that would be wide enough, but on some of the routes you could only ride to the end of it, then you'd have to turn around and go back, but the 50" trail keeps going and going.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:06 AM
Back Country Explorer

When I was a kid in college in 1970, I took a part time job at a factory in Ames, Iowa, that built an ATV called the "Swamp Fox". It was very similar to the Argo. It had a bad Tecumseh 12hp single cylinder engine that wouldn't start half the time. It had this magic transmission that allowed a belt drive input and a dual path output, thus the vehicle, like the Argo, was a "skid steer". It was a simple frame with a fiberglass shell around it so it would float. Sales were slow.

The owner's son then mounted a twin cylinder snowmobile engine in a prototype and the machine became much more fun. Power equals fun. That version was never brought to market.

David

Old 11-18-2018, 10:56 PM
THE BERMINATOR

That version would have sold better. I'm not the kind of guy who always wants more power, but something that size needs more power than a riding mower.

Search this Thread