kolpin hand lift for plow

Old 06-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kolpin hand lift for plow

Sorry not sure where to post this. Has anyone used the kolpin hand plow lift part nunber 15-0030. If so how did you like it. For refference I would be using it on a 60in eagle plow. Thanks sodbuster

Old 06-05-2017, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I had the cycle country version of that lift on my Prarie ATV and it worked well, however I only had a 50" blade. Actually I preferred the manual lift as it was quicker and easier to operate and I clean a 300 ft driveway. Now then using it on a 60" blade may very well be a handful with that extra weight of the blade. Keep in mind it operates with only one hand/arm so you will be getting some really big muscles built up in that arm if you decide to try it. You didn't say whether for an atv or a utv, not sure it will work on a utv but there will be a great deal of weight difference in the 60" blade and then add the weight of the snow on top of that......hope your a big guy with really strong arms!!

Old 06-05-2017, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes the weight is a concern but i had the idea to use a counter balance spring something like an old school garage door spring but shorter and thicker wire. Maybe a 50-75 pound spring. Something with enough tension to make the plow lighter to lift but not so much the plow bounces at every bump. The other idea i had was to use a pulley and a cable off the lift arm. The pulley being on the push frame of the plow. Half the effort to lift. But only half the height of lift. P.S. thanks for your reply. Sodbuster. ETA. Will be using on a Arctic Cat 500 4x4

Old 06-05-2017, 10:37 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't put anything like a spring on the plow to lighten up how it feels. My plow is 52" of solid steel and doesn't have nearly enough down-force to really scrape the pavement. I've thought about ways of making it heavier but I have a 2,500 pound winch to lift it.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

So spring is a no go. What about a pulley on the push frame? Run a cable from the lift arm threw the pulley on the push frame and back up to a solid point on the atv (front rack). Sorry for so many questions, I'm still new to this and learning as i go.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:15 PM
Moto Psycho

You should be able to hook up one or more pulleys to work with a plow. I don't have any suggestions for exactly how.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by sodbuster87
So spring is a no go. What about a pulley on the push frame? Run a cable from the lift arm threw the pulley on the push frame and back up to a solid point on the atv (front rack). Sorry for so many questions, I'm still new to this and learning as i go.

I believe you will find that is already how the manual lift system works. Not sure you could add additional pulleys or you might loose the travel to get the plow up out of the way. Why not just add a winch and save the headache?

Old 06-06-2017, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

Aw, you know you really want a winch, haha. Pretty happy with my cheap azz Harbor Freight winch, plus my plow is a 72" Cycle Country. Went biggie size= 5,000 lb winch.

Attached Thumbnails kolpin hand lift for plow-p1010171.jpg  
Old 06-06-2017, 08:09 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello sodbuster87 from Minnesota. You folks know a thing or two about snow removal. I'm from Minnesota and moved to Colorado. On average, we get 2 times the snowfall as we did in Minnesota (140" versus 60"). Colorado snow is very light except in the springtime. So I use my ATV to push it around.

I must say my ATY isn't the best choice for snow removal. I think it is suited for long lanes. My driveway is about 300 feet with a turn around in front of the garage. It is shift, lower blade, push some snow, brake, lift blade, turn around, shift some more, lower blade, push some snow, and repeat and repeat. The ATV doesn't lift snow, just pushes it. Using my winch to lift the blade will likely result in a broken winch cable as there is no lift limit stop switch.

My snowplow is a Glacier steel 60" and I can lift it pretty easily. They make plastic snow plows that are lighter yet. However my blade tends to "ski" up on the snow, won't stay on the pavement. And there is limited adjustment for rake. It would be neat to lock the plow in the down position

A lift lever arm is quite feasible. There is a thread on these forums showing a person who built one at home. It seemed to work pretty good in the video he shot. Maybe I can find it for you and post a link in your thread.

David

Attached Thumbnails kolpin hand lift for plow-1703-snow-up-drive-1-small-.jpg  
Old 06-06-2017, 10:40 PM
Moto Psycho

I got lazy and didn't plow all winter, I just shoveled my sidewalk. I drive a 4x4 pickup and we usually only had a couple of inches of snow at a time so I said screw it. There were 2 times I really should have plowed because it snowed more than that. My problem is that when I pull the truck out of the driveway so I can plow it packs the snow down so hard the plow won't touch it. I don't have side shields on this plow so I have to go back and forth a lot to get what rolls off the sides. I'm glad I don't have to manually lift it all those times. Normally I plow my sidewalk too. A 60" plow won't fit but mine will. I think my old plow was 50" but the side shields brought it out to 54" or so.

Search this Thread