Battery suggestion and batt blanket

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 07:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery suggestion and batt blanket

Batt just went out on my 700 Griz and at this point I'm not familiar enough with batt brands to get what I'm after. Any suggestion for a specific batt or batt brand that's decent but not high priced?

Also, couple years ago I remember seeing a warmer blanket or pad made for small 4 wheeler sized batts, but I lost track of who was selling it. Anyone know where I could find something like this?

Old 11-01-2018, 07:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Cheap batteries last about 2 yrs but good batts last 4 or more yrs if taken care of. In the winter cold use a small battery tender trickle charger to keep Bart fresh and ready. Yausa has always been a good brand. No nothing about the blanket.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replied to your post on the Kawasaki site as well. Kymco is correct. Yuasa makes very good batteries and they are OEM in many machines. I have a 08 Honda TRX700XX, a 07 KFX700, and a 07 TRX250EX and all had the oem Yuasa battery. They finally failed back in 2015, within 3 months of each other (dammit!). But 7 and 8 years out of a battery? I think that is pretty good. I will add that I did not go back with oem. I chose to install Deltran lithium batteries instead. They claim 5 times longer life then regular lead/acid type batteries. I seriously have my doubts about this claim. I decided to take a risk and buy one for my TRX. When it arrived, I was blown away at how much smaller and lighter it was. The oem battery weighed about 11 pounds, the Deltran weighed about 1 pound! Now I did not use a fancy scale, so these numbers are most likely not 100% accurate. They do cost more, in my case, about $30 more than oem. They also do not fit like oem, but it IS easy to get a custom fit with the included adhesive foam blocks. The downside is that they do recommend a charger specifically designed for lithium batteries, so that is an additional expense to consider. Since I was so impressed with my first purchase, I bought 2 more for the other quads mentioned. I replaced the 1st one in June, the 2nd in July, and the 3rd in October of 2015. A little over 3 years now, and I have had no issues with them. I do keep them on a maintainer and they start the machines very easily.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

Lithium batteries are the best when it comes to holding a charge under heavy draw. I have used them for years in R/C applications. Handle them properly and they are completely safe, but if handled incorrectly they can become a small bomb and burn white hot. Proper charger is a must! The extreme cold in winter can cause them to loose there charge more quickly. In cold climates the agm sealed battery is a more popular choice. I used sealed batteries in my outdoor equipment and will go that route in my SxS when the original battery dies. I have an 18mah sealed battery I bought online and use for my grandkids power wheels toys and also for my lawn sprayer and trolling motor. It is 5 yrs old and still like new!

Old 11-03-2018, 03:27 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the advice.

I've been told elsewhere to leave a trickle charger like a batt tender on all winter but I've also heard not to charge a batt when it's below freezing. Is it ok to leave a batt tender on when it's under 32?

Old 11-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another option to a trickle charger is to simply go out and start it and let it idle for a few minutes every 2-3 weeks in the winter. It will keep the battery from losing its charge. And also will keep your fuel from going bad.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

I have used trickle chargers over the winter for many years with no problems. Due to heavy loads of using the winch for the plowing of snow I keep my SxS battery on a battery tender Jr all winter long. It is now 3 yrs old and no issues.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:02 AM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
I have used trickle chargers over the winter for many years with no problems. Due to heavy loads of using the winch for the plowing of snow I keep my SxS battery on a battery tender Jr all winter long. It is now 3 yrs old and no issues.
I've seen a lot of people on here recommend them too. So far I haven't heard of any issues and some of those are in places it gets really cold.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer

Well, thanks for the good info. Wish I could have found this out sooner though. I've been charging batteries according to that guideline for years now. Good to know I can just leave my batts hooked up and forget about them.