ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Other ATV Topics (https://atvconnection.com/forums/other-atv-topics/)
-   -   Load Up Made Easier, Much Easier (https://atvconnection.com/forums/other-atv-topics/376959-load-up-made-easier-much-easier.html)

ATVC Correspondent 09-11-2018 03:15 AM

Load Up Made Easier, Much Easier

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/atvconn...eaabc2a7e9.jpg

Imagine being able to push a button and your quad or SxS would load itself. Imagine no longer! For under $8-Gs, it can be done:

https://atvconnection.com/articles/t...ding-up-sucks/

MooseHenden 09-11-2018 12:43 PM

Neat product. I wouldn't use anything under a 3/4 ton pickup with it, personally. I can get a very nice enclosed carrier that could trailer two machines that size for the price though.

Big Frank 09-11-2018 10:51 PM

The good news is, if I had one of those it would easily double the value of my truck. The bad news is, there's no way on God's green Earth I'm ever hauling anything over the top of the bed like that. If I did, I'm sure this one panic stop I had to make would have rolled the truck right over. As it was, my truck was skidding down the highway and my trailer started to swing around into the other lane, but at least it didn't try to pass me and it didn't hit anyone. How much usable bed space is there with that contraption mounted to the truck anyway? It doesn't look like much. If I'm too tired to drive home after a ride I can climb in the back of my truck and go to sleep, and if I need to haul a bunch of stuff it doesn't take long to get my air mattress and sleeping bag out of the way. All I need is an $800 trailer, not an $8,000 lift, and I can drive my quad onto my trailer in a fraction of the time that lift takes to cycle.

greg74 09-12-2018 11:24 AM

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Way too expensive and not exactly safe. You can buy a really nice all aluminum trailer like an Aluma for a fraction of the price. And it would probably weigh less and last a very long time as they will never rust and the floors will never rot.

dbj216 09-12-2018 09:12 PM

There are folks who haul their quads (mainly) in the bed of their trucks. Every year there are folks hurt trying to drive the ATV up the ramps. Too much throttle and the machine flips backwards. Too little braking, the machine slams into the cab and the ATV operator takes a swan dive over the cab.

Someone likely makes a secure "snatch block holder" or secure hook ring for the front of a pickup bed so a guy can use the ATV winch to pull the machine up the ramps and actually hold the machine in place during transport.

These guys in Idaho have engineered a nifty "bed lift" that makes the loading process easy and safe. American ingenuity. Maybe some folks just don't like backing up a trailer! I sure don't like going up steeply inclined ramps to the bed of a pick up.

David

Big Frank 09-12-2018 11:13 PM

My truck has tie-down loops near the floor in each corner. A lot of trucks do. I read where someone on here was talking about putting a chain or something across the front pair so they could hook on and winch their quad up. No driving up the ramp required, and 6' of chain is a heck of a lot cheaper than this system that adds a lot of weight and raises the center of gravity. But you should NEVER use your winch to secure your ATV. It can break the winch, and besides having a broken winch you'll have an unsecured load. I'm sure someone will buy this lift, but if I ever get to the point I can't load my ATV without one I won't be riding anyway.

P.S. It starts out at 3,400 pounds without any options added on. That's as much as an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. Even if it could handle the weight, I wouldn't haul a big car in my truck with an ATV or UTV parked on top of it.

AdrenalineRush 09-13-2018 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Big Frank (Post 3403128)
My truck has tie-down loops near the floor in each corner. A lot of trucks do. I read where someone on here was talking about putting a chain or something across the front pair so they could hook on and winch their quad up. No driving up the ramp required, and 6' of chain is a heck of a lot cheaper than this system that adds a lot of weight and raises the center of gravity. But you should NEVER use your winch to secure your ATV. It can break the winch, and besides having a broken winch you'll have an unsecured load. I'm sure someone will buy this lift, but if I ever get to the point I can't load my ATV without one I won't be riding anyway.

P.S. It starts out at 3,400 pounds without any options added on. That's as much as an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. Even if it could handle the weight, I wouldn't haul a big car in my truck with an ATV or UTV parked on top of it.

3400 lbs? Holy bejesus. That can't be right, because that is more than a lot of slide in campers weigh. An Arctic Fox 865 weighs 2640 lbs. I just bought a 2019 Ford F350 yesterday, with the highest available 11,500 lb GVWR for a single rear wheel truck. Payload capacity for that truck is 3960 lbs. So if this ramp system weighs 3400 lbs, you couldn't put ANYTHING on it. The payload capacity of the truck includes weight put in the bed and in the cab. So if you have three 200 pounders in the cab, you have already exceeded the payload capacity of an F350 pickup truck, without putting anything at all on this contraption. Forget about even trying to use this with a 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton truck. This thing couldn't weigh 3400 lbs, it wouldn't even be usable for anything less than a 1 ton dually truck (which has a payload capacity up to 7600 lbs.)

greg74 09-14-2018 12:56 AM

That sounds like too much weight. Maybe they meant to say 1400 lbs, that sounds more like it. Still even at that weight, you're looking at 3000 lbs total or so with the Rzr on it. You will need a heavy duty truck for sure. The Dirt Trax Television guys love the Diamondback covers that sit on top of the bed so you can haul one utv or 2 atvs. They did buy a single wheel crew cab longbed GMC 3500 4x4 truck to use it though so weight probably isn't a problem. The Diamondback cover is around 400-500 lbs I think. At least you can still access the bed under the cover as it acts as a locking hard bed cover.

Big Frank 09-14-2018 03:23 PM

The second thing listed under Standard Equipment on the Deck Specifications page says Lift 3400 lb, so I thought it specified how much the lift weighed. Maybe I was wrong, but the only other weight listed says Winch 910lbs is standard equipment on the TWIN ELITE with 960 lbs optional, and 1140 lbs standard on the TRIPLE ELITE. Maybe they mean that's how much the whole thing weighs with a certain winch on it, but I thought it meant that's how much the winch can pull. It's not clear to me what they mean. If one of those lifts only weighs 910 pounds with a winch on it that changes everything.

Tufflift Sled Deck Specfications | Automatic Snowmobile Loader

Big Frank 09-14-2018 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by greg74 (Post 3403218)
That sounds like too much weight. Maybe they meant to say 1400 lbs, that sounds more like it. Still even at that weight, you're looking at 3000 lbs total or so with the Rzr on it. You will need a heavy duty truck for sure. The Dirt Trax Television guys love the Diamondback covers that sit on top of the bed so you can haul one utv or 2 atvs. They did buy a single wheel crew cab longbed GMC 3500 4x4 truck to use it though so weight probably isn't a problem. The Diamondback cover is around 400-500 lbs I think. At least you can still access the bed under the cover as it acts as a locking hard bed cover.

Maybe this lift only weighs twice as much, but that's still like having an extra ATV in the bed, a large utility ATV, plus whatever you actually put on it. One of those plus a UTV is still a lot of weight, but at least some trucks could handle it without going over their weight limit.