Help! I need a new ATV cover.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 09:20 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help! I need a new ATV cover.

I don't have a garage and my ATV won't fit in my shed so it sits outside year-round. My current cover is made for ATVs up to 48" tall and keeps the tires almost completely covered. But 2 days ago I was going to shake some snow off it and as soon as I grabbed the cover and pulled up it ripped wide open about 2' across. I put a tarp on the ATV with the cover over it for now but need a new cover before the old tarp fall apart too. So I'm looking for suggestions for a new cover.

This one is a Classic Accessories and has an elastic cord around the bottom that's way too weak. I shortened the cord 2' by tying it in a knot and the wind still blew it off. I'm thinking that a trailering cover would stay on no matter how much the wind gusts, but most of them I see don't come down near the ground. I spent a lot of time looking on amazon and still don't know what to get. I looked at prices and I looked at ratings but neither one helped. I found one of the cheapest covers was also one of the highest rated, but when I read a couple of reviews one person said the cover only lasted 2 years before it was torn up. I don't want to buy a new cover every year or every other year no matter how cheap it is. I'd rather spend more on something that will last but don't want to spend a lot if I don't have to. Please help me.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:48 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

How much are you willing to spend? I don't have a garage, and my shed is in the back yard. So I needed something for the bike. On my second one of these, and each was a different brand. First one was expensive. (to me) $425 for it, second one was half that. I have anchor bolts holding it in the driveway. Not sure if you have a pad or just dirt to park yours on.This is the newer one. Just a tad bit narrower than than old one. And my bike needed a bath.

That being said, you could probably build a small, wood frame shed for about the same price. A 5wx7lx5h "house" would be about right for it. If the city would let me do that in my drive, that's what I'd have.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I had covers made for my quads from a truck tarp company. Extremely heavy duty, waterproof, has built in D ring tiedowns to tie off so no wind will blow it away. Havent used them in years with my SxS. These things are heavy, probably over 50 lbs each. Use one for rack on back of my motorhome but still have one in storage not being used. I paid over 250 each to have them made. Each is almost 4 ft tall x 52 in wide and over 8 ft long. When used trailering the wind will not flap them apart. If you might be interested in the one I have left, let me know...yoy will never need another cover. Send me a pm if interested.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:15 AM
THE BERMINATOR

I could spend more than the $55 it would take to buy another cover like this one, but I'm always broke and don't want to spend hundreds if I don't have to. The "bike tent" looks nice but I don't think it would work very well for me. My quad is chained to a fence post like in this picture all winter. Whatever I use won't be bolted down and I don't want to back up inside anything. I have a hard enough time parking in the right spot already. When I take the plow off I park the trailer next to the shed with my truck right in front of it. Then I take the plow off, turn the quad 90 degrees and park closer to where the trailer is in the picture. It's harder to see from the street that way, and I put the boots on the wheels. I only chain it to the fence post because it's too much trouble to use the boots in the winter. My house is in front of the trailer and I wouldn't have room to turn to get into another shed if one was there. And I can't get in the back yard without pulling fence posts that I pounded 4' into the ground and welded together at the top. I have arthritis in both shoulders and every vertebra of my neck and back. I couldn't handle a 50+ pound tarp but have no doubt it would stay put and last forever. I think a regular ATV cover but with stronger elastic or a strap around the bottom would work best for me. If it was tight enough around the bottom part of the wheels it wouldn't keep blowing off.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:12 PM
THE BERMINATOR

This is why I can't put another shed next to the old one. And why I have to move the trailer and park the ATV right next to it. I took this picture today. That's after I only plowed twice this winter and it's had some time to melt. In a bad year my snow pile can get 10' wide, 20' long, and twice as high as this. It's the only place I can pile the snow so it limits my storage options.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

You need a nice 2 stage snowblower to toss that snow over to the neighbors yard. Out of site, out of mind! Lol....Had a similar thing in the first house the wife and I had. No place to stack the snow and we had a lot more snow back then to deal with. Now that I have all this room to pile up my snow....we dont get much snow! Go figure.....

Old 02-23-2019, 09:33 PM
THE BERMINATOR

I used to blow the snow up and down my driveway then blow it in the front and back yards. But where it landed in the driveway it packed down and was a lot harder to blow. It's so much easier to sit on my butt and plow the snow.

I guess it doesn't matter what kind of cover I have on my ATV from Sunday morning until Monday morning. It won't be there long. The wind will be blowing 30-40 mph all day with gusts of 50-60 mph likely and gusts of over 60 mph possible! Tuesday's trash will probably have my shredded cover in it. Maybe a tarp too. I still haven't found what I'm looking for. Or I have but don't know if it's any good or not. I suppose I could get the same kind of cover I have now and buy some stronger elastic to put in the hem, but I'd rather have something I don't have to modify. Any warranty I had would go right out the window. With a 50 mph gust!

Old 02-24-2019, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

The cover I have wont shred, they are designed and made of the same material soft side semi trailer covers are made from. The ride down the highway at 75 mph daily. It was a semi truck cover place that made the covers for me. The spare tire cover was made from the same material, covered that spare for 15 yrs, never shreded, cracked or nothing. Cleaned it off with simple green and sold it with the trailer. Buyer wondered if that cover was new! Drive a couple stakes in the ground to tie off your cover then it will still be there after the wind storm....

Old 02-24-2019, 06:13 PM
THE BERMINATOR

If I had to take a cover that heavy off and put it back on it would aggravate my arthritis. Before I went out on total and permanent disability I couldn't lift anything heavier than 20 pounds at work because of my medical restrictions. I was sitting around the house getting workman's comp while I had restrictions against lifting over 15 pounds. Then one day I got a call from work saying they found a job for me if the doctor changed my restrictions to 20 pounds. So that's what happened. Most days I was making S-10 pickup fenders which weren't too heavy, but once in awhile I'd drop one. Because of the carpal tunnel syndrome in both of my wrists I didn't even know I was losing my grip and letting go. So far I'm dealing with all the pain and numbness the best I can, but I don't know how much longer I'll be able to ride. I'll still use my ATV for plowing snow and need to keep it covered. The last time I saw my cover it was up against a fence on the other side of my neighbor's yard. I'm not going out to get it until tomorrow, if it's still there.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:23 AM
THE BERMINATOR

My old cover is toast. When I picked it up and took a look at it, the tear it already had ripped open in both directions and didn't stop until it got to the seams. I'm going to keep the elastic. If I add it to whatever cover I end up buying maybe that will help keep it on. I still don't know what to buy.

Quick Reply: Help! I need a new ATV cover.