Ford Motor company Vs Us ATVer's

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This article was in the Portland Oregonian Paper. This should shed some light on Ford's business and the eviromental agenda.

OREGONIAN
"Environmental gifts bring Ford a truckload of trouble"
Customers around the nation who feel their livelihoods and recreational pursuits threatened lash out at the automaker
Saturday, June 16, 2001

By Michelle Cole of The Oregonian staff
Stan Meager has been a "Ford man" ever since he bought his first car -- a 1951 Ford four-door sedan. Not anymore. Not since the Ford Motor Company Fund announced a $5 million grant to the National Audubon Society. The 59-year-old Klamath Basin fruit grower usually doesn't complain. But he couldn't help but dash off an e-mail to Ford last month: "You are supplying my enemies with the means to destroy my home and way of life," he wrote. "I will no longer buy a Ford product of any kind, not even a spark plug." There's trouble brewing in Ford Country. Ranchers, loggers, motorcyclists and others are mighty unhappy about the Ford Fund's growing support of environmental organizations. And their displeasure may mark the first time that a large American corporation has faced consumer backlash for being perceived as too green.
>
Ford's environmental contributions have dominated talk radio in Montana. They've ignited e-mail exchanges among conservative political groups. They've been the subject of critical articles in niche publications, including a magazine published by the Blue Ribbon Coalition, a national organization of off-road vehicle enthusiasts.
>
"I have talked to a number of people who are upset with Ford. They don't approve of the Ford Fund's support for green groups who are trying to close out national forests to motorized access," said Don Amador, Western representative for the Blue Ribbon Coalition.
During last month's annual stockholders meeting, William Ford Jr., chairman of the company and great-grandson of its founder, reiterated Ford's commitment to environmental protection. The automaker has recently announced a number of new "green" initiatives, including improving gas mileage on the popular Ford Explorer.
Meanwhile the Ford Motor Company Fund, an independent entity fueled by Ford Motor Company profits, gave away $14.1 million in environmental grants last year -- up from $4.2 million in 1999 and $3.2 million in 1998. In addition to supporting Audubon, Ford also has made a five-year, $25 million pledge to Conservation International to create a Center for Environmental Leadership in Business and a five-year, $5 million grant to Earthwatch Institute for promoting sustainable conservation. Ford acknowledged that it has received hundreds of consumer complaints from all over the country as a result of the Fund's environmental grants. The
company has also heard from at least one dealer, Terry Andreessen, who owns the Timberline Auto Center in Libby, Mont.
"Ford's 'elite' sitting in their glass offices must understand that these seemingly 'politically correct' donations to environmental groups appears as a huge betrayal to the working class people who struggle to survive in our resource-based industries," Andreessen said. "Ford dealers located in these rural communities are not immune from the effects of the extreme environmental movement that has devastated businesses and families."
The company did not anticipate the complaints, Ford spokeswoman Brook Galbraith said.
"The National Audubon Society has one of the largest environmental organization memberships in the United States," she said.
In a form-letter reply to customers who have complained, Ford stresses that its contributions to Audubon are specifically limited to environmental education and bird-monitoring projects.
That doesn't wash with Bob Taft, a 72-year-old Wyoming cattle rancher who owns four Ford pickups, including a "dandy" 2000 diesel model. His beef: Audubon is often listed among the plaintiffs in environmental lawsuits. Ford's support of Audubon's education and bird projects, he said, is "about the same as the U.S. government giving Moscow or Beijing some money for humanitarian purposes when they're busy building up armaments to use against us some day."
Taft said he will not buy another Ford "as long as they're working against us."
Tommy Harris, Oregon director for the Pacific Northwest Four-Wheel Drive Association, said he detects a conflict between Ford's environmental grant-making and its advertising message.
"There was a commercial showing Ford pick-ups on a football field throwing turf as high as a two-story building," he said. "That's ridiculous." At the very least, Harris and others say, Ford ought to spend some of its millions supporting his and other associations' promotion of responsible off-road activity. "I suppose we'd like to have a little grant money to support our end of the thing," Harris said. "But that's tough for a company to do."

This article was in the Portland Oregonian Paper. This should shed some light on Ford's business and the eviromental agenda.

OREGONIAN
"Environmental gifts bring Ford a truckload of trouble"
Customers around the nation who feel their livelihoods and recreational pursuits threatened lash out at the automaker
Saturday, June 16, 2001

By Michelle Cole of The Oregonian staff
Stan Meager has been a "Ford man" ever since he bought his first car -- a 1951 Ford four-door sedan. Not anymore. Not since the Ford Motor Company Fund announced a $5 million grant to the National Audubon Society. The 59-year-old Klamath Basin fruit grower usually doesn't complain. But he couldn't help but dash off an e-mail to Ford last month: "You are supplying my enemies with the means to destroy my home and way of life," he wrote. "I will no longer buy a Ford product of any kind, not even a spark plug." There's trouble brewing in Ford Country. Ranchers, loggers, motorcyclists and others are mighty unhappy about the Ford Fund's growing support of environmental organizations. And their displeasure may mark the first time that a large American corporation has faced consumer backlash for being perceived as too green.
>
Ford's environmental contributions have dominated talk radio in Montana. They've ignited e-mail exchanges among conservative political groups. They've been the subject of critical articles in niche publications, including a magazine published by the Blue Ribbon Coalition, a national organization of off-road vehicle enthusiasts.
>
"I have talked to a number of people who are upset with Ford. They don't approve of the Ford Fund's support for green groups who are trying to close out national forests to motorized access," said Don Amador, Western representative for the Blue Ribbon Coalition.
During last month's annual stockholders meeting, William Ford Jr., chairman of the company and great-grandson of its founder, reiterated Ford's commitment to environmental protection. The automaker has recently announced a number of new "green" initiatives, including improving gas mileage on the popular Ford Explorer.
Meanwhile the Ford Motor Company Fund, an independent entity fueled by Ford Motor Company profits, gave away $14.1 million in environmental grants last year -- up from $4.2 million in 1999 and $3.2 million in 1998. In addition to supporting Audubon, Ford also has made a five-year, $25 million pledge to Conservation International to create a Center for Environmental Leadership in Business and a five-year, $5 million grant to Earthwatch Institute for promoting sustainable conservation. Ford acknowledged that it has received hundreds of consumer complaints from all over the country as a result of the Fund's environmental grants. The
company has also heard from at least one dealer, Terry Andreessen, who owns the Timberline Auto Center in Libby, Mont.
"Ford's 'elite' sitting in their glass offices must understand that these seemingly 'politically correct' donations to environmental groups appears as a huge betrayal to the working class people who struggle to survive in our resource-based industries," Andreessen said. "Ford dealers located in these rural communities are not immune from the effects of the extreme environmental movement that has devastated businesses and families."
The company did not anticipate the complaints, Ford spokeswoman Brook Galbraith said.
"The National Audubon Society has one of the largest environmental organization memberships in the United States," she said.
In a form-letter reply to customers who have complained, Ford stresses that its contributions to Audubon are specifically limited to environmental education and bird-monitoring projects.
That doesn't wash with Bob Taft, a 72-year-old Wyoming cattle rancher who owns four Ford pickups, including a "dandy" 2000 diesel model. His beef: Audubon is often listed among the plaintiffs in environmental lawsuits. Ford's support of Audubon's education and bird projects, he said, is "about the same as the U.S. government giving Moscow or Beijing some money for humanitarian purposes when they're busy building up armaments to use against us some day."
Taft said he will not buy another Ford "as long as they're working against us."
Tommy Harris, Oregon director for the Pacific Northwest Four-Wheel Drive Association, said he detects a conflict between Ford's environmental grant-making and its advertising message.
"There was a commercial showing Ford pick-ups on a football field throwing turf as high as a two-story building," he said. "That's ridiculous." At the very least, Harris and others say, Ford ought to spend some of its millions supporting his and other associations' promotion of responsible off-road activity. "I suppose we'd like to have a little grant money to support our end of the thing," Harris said. "But that's tough for a company to do."

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 06-21-2001, 04:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I wish I would have seen this before I bought my Ranger. Remember the commercial with the guys out raising heck in some mud.Hmmm. the Audobahn (sp?) Society would not approve of this...

Hypocrits...

RoostKing...

Old 06-21-2001, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

In not so many words, it's a bribe. Ford gave em money cuz they have the worst miles per gallon ratio than any other suv's and trucks. They want the environmentalists to shut up with some green.

Old 06-26-2001, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

amazing how that works... give the green groups money & then you're a god... put a little green leaf on the tailgate of every truck & the commoner thinks they're environmentally 'good'
sounds just as corrupt as the whole democratic party... and mexican police.

Old 06-26-2001, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

Proud owner of a 1991 toyota xtra cab pickup.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Fords' got some nerve especially when they sponser truck events and have some sort of advertising contract with polaris.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 06-27-2001, 08:31 AM
Range Rover

I just don't know where you guys come off bashing Ford. Ford has one of the most environmentally friendly cars in their line up. The Ford Explorer is designed to recycle itself while you are driving it. Just get it going at a high rate of speed, under inflate the tires, put a heavy load on it, drive it in the blistering heat with Firestone tires on it and viola, instant recycling. Now how many car companies can say that their cars can recycle themselves? Of course the drivers themselves aren't to blame. Countless "soccer moms" who wouldn't know a valve stem from a lug nut are driving these things, so they must make them idiot proof.

The new 2002 Explorer is a complete redesign. With independant rear suspension, new body work, they are thinking about renaming it to the EXPLODER.

Old 06-27-2001, 10:06 AM
Range Rover

We faced a similar kind of thing here in Tennessee. Bridgestone/Firestone donated a large tract of land to the Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency to manage with a stipulation that no OHVs be allowed on the property.

I can tell you whose tires I won't be buying in the future.

Old 06-29-2001, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like I needed another reason not to buy a Ford. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] My friends were told long ago, that if they see me owning/driving a Ford product, they have permission to kill me or commit me, because I've gone over the edge.

Old 07-07-2001, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

NOW everybody you are judging Ford mototr company on one little thing. Remember, without ford, there wouldny be a chevy, 24 hours @lemans, A MUSTANG, or even a decent car. i know i will get chewed out for saying this by some chevy fan which is only biased because theyre parents liked chevies (thats usually where 99% of fans come from) but ford own 4 out of 6 of the us's top selling cars and only one chevy, not to mention low emissions. I think they were just making an honest contribution, but no one ever believes anything unless they weant to believe it. our chevy truck stalled and when we got it fixed at the chevy lot it blew up on the way home going 45 and yes, it haD oil and we were cruising about 2500 rpm.i dont want any arguments because i want to keep this a fiendly site. i have never had anyone mad at me (look at my other posts if ya dont believe me) and i dont want abunch of biased readers against me. I bet at least 75% of americans would agree with me.
ps if ford "bribed" them anyways, how would it help them in any way???

thats what i thought.

well take it easy everyone, theres my two cents!!! ttyl cya!

Old 07-07-2001, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ps if ford "bribed" them anyways, how would it help them in any way???

Well bansheeboy, for starters all that money will go a long way in the courts and in washington dc, paying lawers and lobbiests to pressure the elected officials to keep us off public land.
As for ford I never have liked them and evryone in my family owns at least one. I would rather push my dodge than take a ride from a ford owner. And no I am not brand loyal, I also own 2 acuras and a polaris[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ford Motor company Vs Us ATVer's