ATV Camping Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 11:14 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am planning on doing some ATV camping this summer and was just hoping that someone out there would have plans on building or know of a suitable trailer that you pull behind an atv to use for camping? The trailer that I would be interested in would be light, fold down but yet hold enough camping gear for two nights. When erected it would sleep two adults, probably have canvas sides with screens and atv tires. Any help would be appreciated ........MJSTX

Old 12-05-2001, 09:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OH Where to start without pics. I have just bought a Fuji digital camera, just have not figured out how to post the pics to a page yet! I'll give a little descripition of my trailer. My camper is made of 2x2s and 5/16" plywood. The measurements when opened up are 8' wide and 7'6" long and 5'6" high inside. When folded up the width of the wheels are 51" to match the bike's track. The width of the camper when folded is 32" wide 5'6" high and 8' long. When folded at 32" it allows you to see past it when backing up and gives you 22' wide x 5'6" high x7'6" long inside to store your gear in. Why so long, I'm 6'1" and I hate to be cramped plus it gives you room at the foot of the bed to put your gear. Why so high, At 5'6" high inside you can change your clothes while almost standing. Why so wide, The beds are 32" wide, one on each side, there is the 22" space between the beds to put your feet down and for the dog to lay. Between the trailer and camper this unit weighs in at around 400 to 500 pounds, just a guess! My 500 Sportsman has no problem towing it, as does my buddy's 450 Honda. The camper is well balanced and has about 50 to 75 pounds tongue weight to give the bike traction when its alittle slippery. This was typed at the blazing speed of 4 words per min. so thats enough for now.

Old 12-06-2001, 09:58 AM
Range Rover

Cole-x: Thanks for the information and I would love to see a photo once you have figured out how to use your camera. Do you do a lot of camping yourself? I would like to use this camper for remote fishng and for a bit of fall hunting. I know what you mean by typing, this message was typed using the two finger method.
Thanks again for the info and hopefully for he photo .........MJSTX

Old 12-06-2001, 02:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

The camera isn't the problem it's the 52" monitor that you would need to view then![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Just havn't figured out how to down size them. Yes we do alot of camping spring, summer, fall and winter! It would probally average out to 1 and a half times a month, maybe two times a month. Fall and winter it's the best time, there isn't any BUGS. We have been out in -3 F wheather, we have watched the deadwaters have about a foot of ice all the way around them before we went to bed and woke up to them completly froze over! We have been out and woke up to a fresh foot of snow in the morning! A site to behold... I sometimes go out with my buddy and his wife, with my wife to of course. Most of the time it's just my little fellow Colton [23 months], my wife and I, o ya and the dog! For winter camping you have to be prepared for the cold. Layered clothing, good sleeping bags and proper propane heaters that are made for enclosed tents are must have items! In the camper I have a piece of plywood that goes between the two beds to make it one large bed for the three of us can keep each other warm at nite, no dirty thoughts the kid is with us![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] About the typing, you use two fingers! Thats twice as fast as I type!

Old 12-06-2001, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Hello MSJX from Thunderbay,
Cole-x from Nova Scotia, its nice to see fellow canucks on this site and I too would like to see your trailer camper sounds interesting Cole-x. I too am somewhat of a builder with an expertise in welding and machining and I am always interested in things that work for camping especially. I would like to now if you made your own canvas tent for the camper, bought one that fits or made the walls out of something else. You both have the some of greatest country in the world next to Alberta of course just kidding really!
Would you guys be interterested in a set of tracks for a quad I'm working on right now should be good for muskeg and snow.
For one finger and two finger typists you guys do pretty good! Keep the sunny side up.

Kawi 650 2in. lift, 28in outlaws
Honda 450ES, 27in Vampires

Old 12-07-2001, 12:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys if I don't add my buddies camper to this he will POOP on me for years! He has a camper trailer that is alot lighter than mine [150 pounds] it just takes longer to set up, mine takes 12 miutes, thats not a joke! Back to his. He uses a factory built tent on it, it is a 6'x6' tent, the tent looks kind of like a chuck wagon. Kind of got off track here, back to the trailer, it's about 4' long and 2' wide when folded up with a 48" wheel track to match his Honda 450. When the trailer is set up there are two 24" x 6' beds [plywood] that pin onto the side of the trailer and a piece that goes between the two beds at the head of the trailer to make it 6' long in the middle. The poles slide into the outside frame of the bed and are fibre glass so they bend in a hoop shape. Then the tent it's self is thrown over the top and snapped on under the bed, the trailer is the floor. the floor was cut out of the tent when the camper was built. A good little camper trailer, just alot more work to set up and look after, you have to make sure the canvas is dry when you put it away. Alltoys my camper is made entirely of 5/16" plywood and 2x2's. When I close it up thats it. You will have to post pics of your tracks. Hope I can figure out what I'm doing with this camera so I can post the pics! Later Guys

Old 12-08-2001, 10:25 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

cole-x could you send me deataled scetch and directions on these and a pic.I am very interested in building one.THANKS Brad<ftwflh@yahoo.com>

Trending Topics

Old 12-08-2001, 11:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just about have this downloading pics to the net figured out. I had the res. of the camera set to 2400 instead of 640, which made the photo's to large on the net? Does this sound right? What are the best sites for pics? I think I'll switch this to a new topic.

Old 12-08-2001, 12:09 PM
Range Rover

Cole-x / Alltoys: Thanks for the information and interest on this topic. For my trailer I plan to convert a small utility tailer that I bought a long time ago from Canadian Tire. It pulls well behind the quad and has a 4'x5' platform with 4"x8" wheels. I would like to replace these with larger/fatter tires for more floatation. Like yourself Cole-x, I probably will build it out of 2"x2" and 1/4" plywood. I plan to heat it with a Kerosene heater in the cold weather. I hope to keep the whole thing under 500lbs. This will be a great winter projects. Thanks for the information guys and if you have other great ideas please post, I am sure there are other camping nuts out there.
P.S. Sorry I can't help you with your camera Cole-x, I can barely program my VCR to work properly, I'm a TCI. (Technicaly Chalenged Individual!)

Old 12-08-2001, 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

pic must be in jpeg format then reduce the pixel size to around 30 pixels per inch..........you can resave the pic in jpeg format if its not already.........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: ATV Camping Trailer