atvs are great for those with a disability

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 04:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atvs are great for those with a disability

Great thread! This is exactly what I was looking for.
I was recently disabled in a snowmobile crash. Broke my back at L-1 and am now paraplegic.
I'm looking at a Traxter xt to get me out to the fish hut and general utility use around my property.
Anyone out there have any experience with this machine? Power, reliability ect...........
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 01-14-2003, 05:09 PM
Range Rover

I don't know alot about this quad. Bombardier did use Suzuki engines on thier quads. It looks like it would be good for you, easy to get your legs off and on. Do you have good upperbody control? We have a small Bombardier shop in town. If you want, I can get some more info for you.

Old 01-14-2003, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

I dont know about the traxter, but being disabled, i use the grizzly. I think it would be best for either a JohnDeer 4x4 with over cab or something along that line. I know that i have a hard time keeping my leg on the bike now and then. I am getting ready to put a "cross-bar" inbetween the fenders so that my feet dont slide outward.

hope that helps.

Jonathan

Old 01-15-2003, 02:09 AM
Trailblazer

My Son was born with Asbergers Syndrom, which is a form of Autism. We struggled with him to get involved socially with everyday life . I introduced him to his 1st ATV when he was 9 and what a change it made in his and our lives. He grew to be more independent because of the responsibility and the encouragement he got from his peers at school. We never thought that he would be able to achieve this kind of independence and responsibility. I can't give all the credit to the Quad, but I have to say, what he has acomplished as a result of riding and learning to maintain his quad mechnacally has brought out a whole new side of him.

Steve

Old 01-15-2003, 09:36 AM
Range Rover

Frogman, that crossbar idea sounds good. My parents will never know how much those ATV'S ment to me.

Old 01-15-2003, 10:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank's guys!
Those are all good stories. I'm really looking forward to the freedom this thing is going to give me.
I went and did the deal for the Traxter XT today. Should have it by the week end.
I got what I could only discribe as "nerf bars" that run along the sides of the foot boards to stop my feet from sliding off the sides. Should be good to go.
I'll keep you posted...Thanks again

Old 01-16-2003, 09:48 AM
Range Rover

I know you will like the new quad. I wish we could ride together. Find someone with a quad to go with you. keep us posted!

Old 01-23-2003, 09:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I broke my back, L-1, 22 yrs ago, bought a Polaris 500 Sportsman last week and wonder why I waited so long! Great mobility, much less energy expended around the ranch.

Question for all: Any ideas how to carry a non-folding wheelchair on my Polaris for the times when I need to roll around? I've been thinking of an extension of the rear rack to put it on and tie it to. Anyone else seen something that might work?

Thanks, Tonka

Old 01-23-2003, 12:58 PM
Range Rover

I am so glad you have bought you a quad. Don't for get to spread the word to others with disabilities. Could you modify one of those racks for the back of a car to the hitch on the quad? do you have good upper body strength?

Old 01-23-2003, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

Look at some of the set-ups for game haulers that hoist onto the rear rack (sorry, no manufacturers off the top of my head).

Also, be aware that your Sportsman is slightly 'light' in the front by nature and you may want to give the shocks one adjustment up to counteract this a bit. Being 700 some odd pounds with a wheelchair/gear on the back may also require you to get up on the gas tank as much as possible on steep inclines.

I try to weight my SP as much as possible (water/gas) on the front; as everything else is normally hauled in the rear.

Good luck with your search and I almost think the gizmo that has a crane-like rod, winch and cable might be the ticket for getting the chair up on the back and secured.

John

Quick Reply: atvs are great for those with a disability