Other Makes Kymco, Joyner, Kubota, Bobcat, Cub Cadet, John Deere, Huskvarna, Kazuma, etc

Advice on Polaris Fluids, Models & Logging dealer complaints

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Polaris Fluids, Models & Logging dealer complaints

I posted about a year ago saying that we purchased 2 Polaris Sportsman 400s (2011), 2 Polaris Trail Boss 330 (2012) and 3 Polaris Phoenix (2014) in Tanzania.

I have several questions for you:
1. What can we use instead of the OEM Polaris AWD fluid for the Sportsman 400? The dealer here has been out of stock since Sept. 2014 and whenever we ask about it they say that it is in a container on the way here.
2. We really like the Trail Boss 330 as it is sufficient for the rides we offer 1 hour introductory to 4-5 hour rides. But, as I understand it, Polaris is not manufacturing that model any longer. We would like to get 2 bikes that will take a passenger for the teenagers or women who don't want to drive themselves. I think the Razors and Rangers are too expensive for us. We have seen a Sportsman 500 Touring and it seems plenty big. We'd like 2 bigger bikes and 4-5 of a medium size bike that will fit anyone. The Phoenix are a little small for medium to large men and even tall women. THe 400 is too big for most women. So, the Trail Boss 330 is really versatile as it is big enough for anyone. What would you recommend as an alternative to the Trail Boss 330.
3. Before ordering more bikes, we need to build the business up and also want to see how the different models do maintenance-wise. Which models that we have already will require the least amount of maintenance?

4. We are really fed up with the dealer in Dar Es Salaam as he has lied to us about delivery times, ground transport and insurance costs. We've been waiting on warranty parts (rubber clips to hold the cargo lid down on the 400s) for nearly a year now, and a new battery for the Trail Boss 330 since sept 2014. I've looked at the Polaris website and don't see any contact information for dealer complaints. Anyone have some sort of email address or phone number for us to contact the dealer relations people at Polaris in the US?

If you are interested to see some photos of guests on the rides here in Tanzania, East Africa, here is a link to photos in dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h47jwa94z...kcdd9ZNba?dl=0
Have a nice day. Thank you!
Tina

Old 03-04-2015, 09:14 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

On mine if I Run out of AWD fluid my Cylmer manual says I can use Automatic Transmission Fluid (Type F). But I have the older locking hub system and yours may be different with the newer locking front diff.
Your best bet is to buy the right stuff online somewhere.

If your looking for a Mid size chassis ATV for trail riding why stick with Polaris? I like my 350 4x4 Yamaha Grizzly/Bruin (Comes in a 2wd version as well) or you can look at a 400 (376cc) Suzuki KQ/Eiger or 400 (366cc) Arctic Cat instead.

Unlike the Trail Boss none of these ATVs have a pain rear chain to maintain all the time and are shaft drive.

You may even like a simple 250 2wd like a Suzuki Ozark or Honda Recon.

Most all smaller/Mid bore ATVs are reliable due to their shear simplicity vs bigger bore Full size ATVs.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks for the feedback

TLC,
Thank you for your input. I have ridden a Yamaha Grizzly and loved it. POlaris was the ONLY dealer in Tanzania. You make a great point about the drive shaft and rear chain...as well as pointing out that the simpler a machine, the easier it is to maintain.

We are heading back to the US and are excited about trying out all kinds of models. THanks also for the information on the AWD fluid. I'm not certain if we can bring the stuff back on the airplane. Do you know?

Thanks again.
Maasai Momma