Other Makes Kymco, Joyner, Kubota, Bobcat, Cub Cadet, John Deere, Huskvarna, Kazuma, etc

Linhai 400 UTV Bighorn sputters and stalls

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Linhai 400 UTV Bighorn sputters and stalls

When the UTV is cold, it will start right up. No choke needed. It will rev, but does have a little sputter. Sometimes it will die as soon as I put it in gear, other times I will drive it for about 2-3 mins, then it dies and might restart. If it does restart, it runs terrible. Most of the time it is dead for about 30 mins. Then it will restart and repeat symptoms.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

When the UTV is cold, it will start right up. No choke needed. It will rev, but does have a little sputter. Sometimes it will die as soon as I put it in gear, other times I will drive it for about 2-3 mins, then it dies and might restart. If it does restart, it runs terrible. Most of the time it is dead for about 30 mins. Then it will restart and repeat symptoms.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Those are my current issues. I have been working on this for weeks. Here's a list of repairs I've done.

1 Replace spark Plug with NGK.
2 Cleaned/rebuilt carb
3 Replaced CDI
4 Cleaned/rebuilt carb
5 Replaced coil
6 Cleaned/rebuilt carb

The reason I have cleaned the carb so many times is I keep telling myself it has to be a fuel issue and doubting the my clean, because when the UTV stalls, I will pull the plug and check spark. It has spark! I went very in depth on my last cleaning. I have full faith the carb is cleaned and A/F valve is very close to where it needs to be.

I'm stumped. The spark plug definately does not show the motor to be running rich, possibly a little lean. Just to test how long the UTV would run, I set the idle screw to about 3000. The UTV ran for 2-3 mins, then fell on its face.

I haven't touched the stator or pickup coil.

Any and all help is very appreciated!!

Old 11-01-2016, 05:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you checked fuel flow to the carb plus is the tank vent open and any carb atmospheric vent open? You can try the old timing light trick if it runs long enough to test. Hook the light up and when the engine runs crappy if the light flashes,flickers in unison with the engine bog or miss,then that usually a sign it's an ignition problem. If the light stays constant,no flickering then the problem could be other than ignition.