ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Performance Mods and Project Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/performance-mods-project-quads/)
-   -   400EX rev limiter replacement (https://atvconnection.com/forums/performance-mods-project-quads/122419-400ex-rev-limiter-replacement.html)

CroBiker 10-20-2003 11:36 PM

400EX rev limiter replacement

i'm gettin a 416 kit for my 400EX when i get paid, and i've been told that it's a good idea to get a new rev limiter. does ne body have experience with this? i was lookin at the whitebros rev kit for the 400EX since it wont let u over-rev ur engine. ne suggestions? i mostly do dune riding. thanx.

kawi300 10-21-2003 09:32 PM

i hear the whitbros one is hard to start unless your battery is fully charged,.. i read somewhere it was for some dirt bike that had a kickstart and it happened to fit on the ex too... but if i were you i would look into the big gun rev limiter.

~later

CroBiker 10-22-2003 11:40 PM

thanx, all the rev limiters say that they will be hard to start if the battery isn't fully charged. what i want to know, is if u keep hittin the starter, isn't that jus gonna make it harder to start? and if it wont start, can u jump start it?

kawi300 10-22-2003 11:42 PM

u mean like push it with the clutch in then let it out,.. yea you can do it that way.

CroBiker 10-22-2003 11:46 PM

nah, i meant that if the battery isn't fully charged and i keep hittin the starter, but it doesn't start, then it will wear the battery down farther. at that point, could i jump-start it like u would a car with a dead battery?

kawi300 10-22-2003 11:47 PM

oops my bad... brain freeze i guess,... i onon if u can do that but the way i said would work

CroBiker 10-23-2003 12:19 AM

ok thanx.

duneittilludie 10-24-2003 02:03 AM

Crobiker-We run the white brothers rev box on my wifes 440 and it works very well and it is not any harder to start than when we ran the stock one.The big gun is something i would stay away from because we tried one for a while on the 440 and it didnt run a strong as the white brothers and it eventually failed and made the quad run like s*#t.i dont know why some people have a hard time starting their quad after they install the white brothers box but both my wife and a friend with the same set up have no problems at all starting their quads.

oldsandman 10-24-2003 03:52 AM

I took the white bros. off because it wouldn't start if the battery wasn't fully charged. It isn't a problem if you have it hooked up to a charger or are constantly riding. But when it would sit for a few days it would fail to start. I played with it for a while and finally gave up on it. I have a friend who had exactly the same problem with his. I don't know if the white bros. puts a slight drain on the batt. that causes a voltage drop or if it just requires a fully charged batt. to operate. I do know people that have had no problems with them too...I tend to think it maybe a varience in manufacturing the part because it seems kind of random.

Trxoutlawz 10-24-2003 11:57 PM

By using the aftermarket CDI you are changing the spark curve. It takes approx. 100 more rpms to spark for starting. This is why I Changed the batter to one that comes stock on a Suzuki street bike. The reason is below.. I have never had a starting problem since, and the battery is 3 yrs old.

If you will need to replace your battery, I would suggest that you get a Yuasa # YT12A-BS It fits as stock but it gives you 185cca instead of the 125cca of stock... I use it, this info was given to me by Jason at LRD Performance.. It is a must if you have a new cdi box.

Hope this helps