Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

What mix and oil do I use when running alcohol

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 05:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What mix and oil do I use when running alcohol

I have a 250r and I want to run it alcohol. Its a 410 bike with pretty much all of the goodies. I am not done building it and I want to know what reeds I need if I need something special. I also would like to know what kind of carb you would recommend I was thinking a 40mm, but what jets should I run. The mix is another thing id like to find out what are any of you guys running? The oil you have to use is different too isn't it? I never have ran alcohol in any of my bikes before, but this is probably the most expensive one I have built yet. I want to do everything right on this and not have very many problems and they say alcohol is an easy HP gainer. What are your thoughts on this, and how do you guys feel about this plane? Thanks again you guys in the forum have been a huge help to me.

Old 12-16-2003, 12:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I believe Maxium 927 is a good premix that is ALKY friendly. but I'm sure thier are others also.

I'm not sure about jetting on your motor,but if he doesnt see this thread, you shoud PM beechman. He has alot of knowlege with Race bikes,and race Honda's. I'm sure he can get you to a starting point on jetting.

Important thing to know about running ALKY, is you need to Flush the motor out with a GAS mix when its time to put her up for the night. DONT LET ALKY sit in your Motor overnight, it will rust,and shorten your motors life span. Running a gas mix thought the motor for a couple minutes will prevent this.

Bigger.

Old 12-16-2003, 04:45 PM
Trailblazer

yeah beechman has been a great help to me with my banshee questions and I know he knows hondas and drag bikes considering he has the one od the badest motors built the 425r genesis by psi. I hope he will post on this topic soon. Thanks for the help and letting me get started in the right direction I really appreciate the help. Just want to take another step in having a bad dragger. I was thinking methanol for a while, but I am kind of scared of it for some reason.

Old 12-16-2003, 04:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hell, dont be scared of it!! I have ran it in my DS for 2.5 years and have never had a problem. Alky is great!!! after you get used to purging your fuel system, it will only take you a couple minutes to do. Jetting alky si much more forgiving than jetting gas. You can run your engine on the RICH side, and still make more power than gas. Plus if you are runnig Rich, and want to lean it down alittle, Nitromethane does a great job!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

bigger

Old 12-16-2003, 05:15 PM
Trailblazer

all of this sounds good, but how much does that run. And I like the idea of it being a little easier to jet. Is reading the plug just like reading the plug on a gas motor or are there different things to look for?

Old 12-16-2003, 05:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Race gas is aleast 4.00 a gallon. and Alky will be half that, although you dont get the same mileage out of alky as you do gas, so the price is closer in the end. I buy METHANOL(same stuff) but I buy it from a Oil field company that uses it to pump down oil wells so they down freez up(methanol absorbs condensation, thats way you dont want to let it sit in your engine) Anyway , I get it at 1.00 a gallon. so that is way cheaper than regular gas, much less race fuel.

Look in the yellow pages for any oil-field supply company, and they'll have Methonal for sale, Also ALOT of people it in their dirt track Roundy round cars, so they usaully know wher to by it cheap.

Nitro methane is EXPENSIVE!! about 30$ a gallon. but you wont run it all the time, just for some drags,when you need a couple lenghts to get past your buddy![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It last longer than you think.

I could tell you how to read a 2-stroke plug(its been to long)

Bigger.

Old 12-16-2003, 06:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best oil (IMO) is Klotz Benol for alky. It is fairly expensive but worth the money for sure. You can mix it at 20:1 without any additives, or I always run 32:1 and use a top end lube like the 4-strokes do. It is cheaper to go that route. By the way, you get used to running on alky and you wont want to go back to gas again[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 12-16-2003, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

yeh! klots that is what i used and had good results. i use it whith gas to. hows it going bubba! robert is going to sell his rappy. i dont no what he is going to get next.

Old 12-17-2003, 02:35 AM
Trailblazer

but what about the carb set up do you need different jets or needles? Don't you have to change your carbs or no? I really new to all of this thats why im asking.

Old 12-19-2003, 03:20 PM
Trailblazer

I guess thats all the help i get on this topic

Quick Reply: What mix and oil do I use when running alcohol