Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

My 440 puffs smoke

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 09:16 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 440 puffs smoke

I reciently had my 400ex to to a 440. I am wondering now what is the deal with it smoking all the sudden. It didn't do it before. Now that I have logged like 50 hours on the bored out motor every time I start it when it is cold it smokes ALOT! Once it is warn, it stops. Is this normal? Should my motor be doing this. Some one said that it was cause it was getting flooded when I turned it off because of the carberator that I have on it. I tried shutting the gas off and letting the fuel completely run out of the system before shutting it down, but still the problem presists? What would be causing this? Am I on the verg of another major repair?

Old 09-17-2004, 10:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

What color smoke? Black? White? Blue? Does it use oil? Does it use coollant? Is it down on power? Does it smoke going down hills and then clean up when you get back on the throttle? What is the plug telling you?
The first thing you need to do is get a compression test done.

Old 09-18-2004, 11:39 AM
Range Rover

It only smokes at startup. It is gray smoke. It doesn't burn oil and doesn't feel like the power is suffering at all... One it is warn, everything is normal.

Old 09-21-2004, 06:25 PM
Range Rover

my raptor does the same thing

how do you like the edelbrock carb on your 440????????

Old 09-21-2004, 09:00 PM
Range Rover

I love it, it is amazing how big of a difference that a larger carb makes. I also like it because I don't have to buy a bunch of different jets, it has it's own like dial-a-jet, only better cause it works very well! Definetly a good item to have.

Old 09-23-2004, 02:53 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does it a little too when I fire it up. It is probably just a little bit of oil smoke, a little drop can make a lot of smoke. This is usually caused from bad valve seals, but this is no harm. When they get warm they swell up and that is why it quits. But only a tiny bit will get by them and like I said a drop will go a long way. So I wouldn't even worry unless there is a power issue, or if it doesn't quit smoking.

P.S. So you think you can ride a wheely heh! Try me! J/K lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-29-2004, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would run a compresion test.

Trending Topics

Old 09-29-2004, 06:43 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Did you check the compression before it started smoking?
If not don't bother now, you will have nothing to compare it to.

What type of oil and weight are you running?
If its synthetic, try swithcing to Honda GN4 dyno oil.

Valve stem seals are also a possible culprit.
Did you have a valve job done?

I highly doubt it has anything to do with your carb.

Its not going to be major, its most likely either rings or valve stem seals, I guess its possible you scored the cylinder, and the rings are not sealing because of it.

Old 04-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Range Rover

Bump

By the way, I guess it is more white then gray... Just depends on the lighting or the day I guess....

Old 04-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

My 400 does that when it has been cold on start-up and stops its no big thing. its jst from teh colder weather and letting it sit for a night or two in the cold. just let it get warmed up before you go riding to make sure your top-end is lubed up nice.

Quick Reply: My 440 puffs smoke