Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

LT230S WILL NOT IDLE PROPERLY

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT230S WILL NOT IDLE PROPERLY

I have a 86' lt230s and it was running when I got it but it was pouring white smoke out of the exhaust. So i had a local guy take it out and rebuild it. He told me the person who had it before me had installed the wrong rings and that's why it was smoking so bad. So i figured if he was going to take the engine apart i should just go ahead and mod/upgrade it a little.So i bought a .40 size piston and had it bored,purchased a new head,spark plug and wire,carb rebuild kit,new air box and snorkel.
He finally got the engine back together and installed it back into the bike. I tryed to start it and liked to kick my leg off.Finally after i got it to fire it was revving really fast , so the guy started trying to adjust the carb, but no matter what he does it will not idle back, it will some but not all the way and when you press the gas it just dies out and when you let go it returns to revving really fast. So he thought it might have been in the timing, so he adjusted that (purchased a manua at this pointl) and it still will not idle properly. One thing i know for sure is that the valves were never checked could that be the problem, or is it just jetted wrong, cause when we try to start it the snorkel tube is off an the pipe is (head pipe is still connected)? please help i just want to be able to ride this summer

Old 04-21-2005, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

i hope you didn't pay this guy to rebuild it, sounds like he should not be doing this type of work if he cant figure out one of the simplist engines ever made.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

MAN I TELL YA WHAT. I JUST WISH THAT I COULD GET IT RUNNING. SO I CAN GO TEAR SOMETHING UP.

Old 04-25-2005, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

def sounds like timing is to advanced

Old 04-26-2005, 09:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

sounds to me like u need to do some jetting....check whats in it...compared to the manual....if it is smaller than what stock should be..u definitly need to go up in sizes more than stock.. check both the pilot and main jet...also check the float to make sure it is adjusted right.. don't think it's a timing issue if when u give it gas it dies....sounds like starving for gas.....what was the plug like when u pulled it out(now) and before u rebuilt it?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]not enogh information to work with.. check the needle position to...what slot is the clip in. if u want send me a message.