Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Snowmobile Motor On A Quad Frame????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snowmobile Motor On A Quad Frame????????

Ahhh... cool. I wonder if Olav Aaean or anyone has brought somthing like this to market?
Thanks

Old 08-22-2005, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have forward, neutral, and reverse on mine with the jackshaft. The exhaust pipes power band is from 5000 rpm to 9000 rpm so I have a 4500 rpm spring in the drive clutch. It works like a stall torque converter in a race car. When I race you simply watch the tach run it up to about 4200 rpm then when the green light comes on just hit it and go. At 4300 rpm the motor is running plenty fast and clean. Yes a hand clutch will give you a harded jump off the line but the automatic tranny will more than make up for it by staying in the power band and not shifting gears. Just my opinion for what it is worth.

My opinion and $1.09 will buy you a cup of coffee at Quick Trip.

Old 08-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

PENNY... awesome looking beast... I've been considering building a dedicated drag / pulling quad from the ground up... all aluminum frame, & using my 488 - 2 cylinder, 2 stroke Yamaha Venture sled as a donar... it has very few miles on it, & runs strong... also has a reverse transmission... I had been thinking about even mounting the secondary right to a solid rear axel, & using the sleds CVT... it's cool to see some of these creations in real life, as mine is still mostly in my mind...

Old 08-23-2005, 01:21 AM
Range Rover

PENNY

what are you using for neutral and reverse if you are running a jack shaft??

Old 08-23-2005, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was not enough space to just hook the driven clutch to the transmission so I put the jackshaft out of the snowmobile to the transmission. The drive and driven clutches are set up just like they were on the snowmobile. I originally had a chain drive from the jackshaft to the tranny but soon found out it would not handle the 9000 rpm so that is when I went to the Eagle pd drive belt. I put four pictures on my page this morning that shows the drive and driven clutches and the jackshaft. It will take a little time for them to be approved for viewing. I took 117 pictures of the building of this beast so if you would like to see anything let me know and I will post them or send them to you.
Louie

Old 08-23-2005, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

[q
NOTE
the ONLY reason that SKI-DOO dumped the rotary valve intake in favor of reed valve was to make the electronic reverse work!!![/quote]

Hmm, I wasn't aware of that..

My 800 Himark doesn't have the reverse or the rotary????

Old 08-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Range Rover

DUNEADDICT
they were gearing up for the change
you can probably upgrade your ignition system to handle it
ALL of the factory sleds with RER are eclectric start
not sure if that is the difference

Old 08-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info... Lean something new everyday.
I'm actually trying to dump the 800 and upgrade. I'm not very happy with performance/fuel economy.

Old 08-24-2005, 08:40 PM
Range Rover

we live here in the mountains too
usually ride between 5000 and 10000 feet and right now I would say that the skidoo REV is about the BESTout of the box sled on the snow possibly the CAT M7 might be a little better performer but the polaris 900 is a joke compared to the REV hymark 800 the CAT M1 is pretty good but hasn't been reliable especially with any mods done to it

for the ultame ride at least around here is the turbo charged yamaha 1000cc 4 cylinder .......... but WAY WAY WAY TOOOOOOOOO much money 13000 canadian new plus about 6000 to turbo it

Old 08-27-2005, 03:07 AM
Range Rover

EBAY has 3 xc440 motors for sale right now one has a race fuel head and one is stock and the last one is a racing motor with twin pipes!!!

wicked little rev monster for a project quad!!!!!!!

got to be hovering around the 80 to 90 horse range probably close to 9000 rpm though

Quick Reply: Snowmobile Motor On A Quad Frame????????