Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Any exhaust experts? Trying to quiet it down.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any exhaust experts? Trying to quiet it down.

I have a yamaha grizzly 400. Has a nice deep throaty sound from the exhaust.

I want to make it super quiet for some trips (hunting). I was wonder what would be the best type of second muffler for a deep sounding exhuast.

I tried a small engine (very small) muffler, and just held it up there to see what it sounded like. It seemed to turn it into a bumble bee type noise. a little quieter but not enough.

Should I try another ATV muffler, a large lawn mower muffler, a small car muffler, a glass pack, or just a car resonator behing the muffler? Which would do best?

I'm thinking a car muffler since it makes a car so quiet. Also, the 4-wheeler didn't mind the little muffler, it still ran fine. It was actually really quiet if I put my hand over the exhaust while idling, almost silent. Any tips? Thanks

P.S. I know about the $150 you can buy, but I'm looking for something a lot more quiet and not worried about the performance for idling into the woods.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any exhaust experts? Trying to quiet it down.

I know where you are coming from.I have a 86 honda fourtrax that I am tring to quiet down for hunting.
I was thing of picking up a muffler and adding it on , but I have A rear winch in the way.
The reason its so loud is the packing is burnt out ,or it did not have any to start with.
My muffler was not made to be taken apart,but after hunting season I am going to cut it open and pack it full of pink insulation.
I have done this on a moter bike and it worked !