Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

'87 TRX350D Foreman Project

Old 03-22-2017, 01:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow '87 TRX350D Foreman Project

Hoping to find tips, tricks, suggestions, parts, parts sources, and mods if anyone can share, please do.

Picked this up cheap, just looking to make a reliable trail cruiser out of it, not really a monster mudder. Maybe a tow truck for the mudders .

Ridden hard and put away wet, sat out in the weather, it's had a hard life. Some of the underbody is missing so far, not sure if the previous owner will find that or not.

Began with no spark and a crankcase over full with gas. So now the spark is back after bypassing the neutral switch. Cleaned out the carb yesterday, pilot jet was clogged, now it idles fine and isn't filling the crankcase. After a nice warmup, the neutral switch seems to be fine now. ???

Smoked like a freight train, was pretty sure the rings were gone, since it has no air filter. Turns out 98% of the smoke was from the high dose of Seafoam we put in the tank.

Rundown of planned repairs:
- Battery
- Starter or rebuild kit, cranks slow cold, even slower hot.
- Front wheel/axle bearings/seals
- Exhaust leak near the 2 into 1 joint, may need a crack welded up.
- Front brake work, master cyl/wheel cyl rebuild. Master is bone dry and dirty.
- Tires - leaky valve stems and bad weather cracks (no leaking yet). May do inner tubes, but not sure about the cracks shredding out. Hunting for stock type/size tires. Just don't need big mudders or a lift kit.
- Driveline lube change.
- Cooling fan a bit stiff to turn by hand, but did run after a long warmup.
- Plastic panel covering the petcock lever/kicker is gone, no way will I pay $100-250 for one!

Looks like a lot, but am really surprised it's not as bad as I thought. Have it up on stands and got it starting, idling, throttling nicely. Running through the gears, driveline seems good except for the front hub bearings. There was some chattering when we pushed it and turned right, but I think it was the limited-slip clutches in the front.

Not crazy about the blue plastic, thinkin' about a desert camo job though I'm 1000s of miles from any desert, my friend despises any camo at all. Really want a side by side, but the budget only allows a fixer upper, and those don't seem to be showing up. Can't even find a blown up old Rhino.

Search this Thread