ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Performance Mods and Project Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/performance-mods-project-quads/)
-   -   do I have to use atv mufflers (https://atvconnection.com/forums/performance-mods-project-quads/375794-do-i-have-use-atv-mufflers.html)

jim bob stevens 05-07-2018 02:20 PM

do I have to use atv mufflers

i got a suzuki 1998 ltf500f and i want it to make some more noise. I cant find any aftermarket exhaust for it. I was wondering if I could use a glasspack magnaflow or flowmaster muffler?

MooseHenden 05-07-2018 06:30 PM

Depends on what state you plan on riding. Some states don't allow any aftermarket exhaust systems. Check your local laws before you buy as a loud exhaust can lead to tickets.

user493 05-10-2018 01:36 AM

Moose is right about loud exhausts. Some places will check with a meter and if it's above a certain dB level you aren't riding there. Plus if you're riding any national forest trail anywhere in the whole country, you have to have a spark arrestor and I don't know if they make them for glass packs.

greg74 05-10-2018 08:26 AM

Why would you want to make it louder? That makes no sense. I could see if the original exhaust was worn or rusted out and you wanted to replace it but putting on an exhaust to just "be louder" is pointless. Loud exhausts piss people off that don't like atvs. They'll harass you and call the cops because of the noise. Purposely making your atv louder is just inviting trouble. The old saying of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here.

hydrex 05-10-2018 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Louder don't mean more hp. Try "gutting out" the stock muffler. Every ATV that I've owned, have gutted the stock muffler, welded bigger tip on some. They all sounded deeper, better than stock. On my Arctic Cat 700 Diesel, I took out an incredible amount of baffling and welded on a 3" tip. Sounds so much deeper, but not louder. At 3' at idle it's 72db , my 700 gas model at 3' with stock muffler is 75db! The Diesel sounds serious and big, the gas, kinda wimpy. Here is a picture of the "modified" stock muffler= cost almost nothing. That's a big Yellow Top battery beside it.

user493 05-10-2018 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by greg74 (Post 3393645)
Why would you want to make it louder? That makes no sense. I could see if the original exhaust was worn or rusted out and you wanted to replace it but putting on an exhaust to just "be louder" is pointless. Loud exhausts piss people off that don't like atvs. They'll harass you and call the cops because of the noise. Purposely making your atv louder is just inviting trouble. The old saying of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here.

I didn't want to be the one to point that out on yet another thread. But someone had to say it. We all used to ride from my friend's property down to the nearest crossroad and a fraction of a mile down that road to his other friend's property. Not much more than riding around the corner. It's a heavily wooded area but technically it's part of a township, and we had to ride past a few houses. We rode back and forth for years without a single problem, until one guy put a factory racing pipe on his Raptor 700. You could hear that thing for a LONG way and it pissed off all the neighbors. One day the sheriff caught him and gave tickets to everyone in the group for riding on the road. Plus there have been legal riding areas shut down for excessive noise. If you piss off enough people they'll change the law to keep you away.