Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

atv as a trailer dolly

Old 08-07-2018, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atv as a trailer dolly

Hello. I am in need of a trailer dolly in order to move a boat trailer around on my property. There is no space to use a truck. I would estimate the weight of the boat/trailer package at about 4250 lbs. I assume that an inexpensive unit will be unsatisfactory, and at the price of a serious unit, I wonder if instead I can get an old atv to push it around? My main concerns with this are traction, and the transmission. I only need to tow or push 30 feet, at a very slow crawl. So, my questions are:
1 What type of transmission would fare best for this use?
2 I see that trailer dollys do not tend to have very powerful motors, but that they are geared extremely low. Can I regear an atv somehow to make it work for this application? How might this be accomplished? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi

Hi
i use a 91 Honda fourtrax 300 4wd to move my 18’bowrider around my yard it doers it ,however you defiantly know it’s there ,need a little speed to pop trailer up the garage lip from driveway
QUOTE=wengr;3400599]Hello. I am in need of a trailer dolly in order to move a boat trailer around on my property. There is no space to use a truck. I would estimate the weight of the boat/trailer package at about 4250 lbs. I assume that an inexpensive unit will be unsatisfactory, and at the price of a serious unit, I wonder if instead I can get an old atv to push it around? My main concerns with this are traction, and the transmission. I only need to tow or push 30 feet, at a very slow crawl. So, my questions are:
1 What type of transmission would fare best for this use?
2 I see that trailer dollys do not tend to have very powerful motors, but that they are geared extremely low. Can I regear an atv somehow to make it work for this application? How might this be accomplished? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Old 08-08-2018, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Most quads over 500 cc's are able to tow that much with some effort. I'd recommend a 4wd as you can put the transmission in Low range for more available torque. I've towed industrial sized wood chippers with a Polaris Sportsman X2 500. Right around the weight you're talking about. While the quads will pull it, the limiting factor in my mind is braking. Will you be able to stop once you get the mass moving. I can tell you I wouldn't have wanted to go downhill with that chipper behind me.

I think most transmissions could tow that amount. Some don't like CVT's. I've never had a problem with them. In low range the tires are going to spin long before the belt would even think about braking. I've dug 4 holes in the ground many times trying to get a car or another ATV unstuck.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:39 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My ATV is rated to tow 1500 pounds. But the limiting factor on my ATV is tongue weight. The literature says not to exceed 50 pounds! I think the reason on my ATV is the receiver "stamping" is bolted to the aluminum rear drive case, not to the frame of the ATV. A guy might need to fabricate a beefier hitch receiver to the back of a ATV as to not break the rear drive case.

You might consider a very used compact utility tractor that has a decent draw bar on it or a decent 3 point hitch. I moved around some pretty heavy trailers with my little Kubota tractor.

David

Old 08-15-2018, 06:58 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never saw an ATV rated to pull anywhere near that much weight. You'd definitely want to go with a used one since it would instantly void the warranty on a new one. A lot of different ATVs would be able to pull that much weight, but stopping it on an incline like Moose was talking about would be a different story. IMO a UTV would be a better option than an ATV.