Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2007 Sportsman 800 EFI Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2007 Sportsman 800 EFI Questions

I just bought a 2007 800EFI and I have a few questions. On the headlight pod there is a rubber plug that says EFI diagnostic but when I pull the rubber plug out there is nothing behind it, so what should be there? Next question is what should the rpms be at idle and how do you set them? It idles about 1100-1200 rpms and shifter gets really hard to shift from gear to gear, but it works fine when not running. Last but probably the most important is the fuel gauge does not show up at all on the speedo like a gas guage does not even exist on this model. Im sure that is not correct. How can I tell if its a problem in the speedo or the fuel sending unit? Anyone have any help for me?

Old 06-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The rubber plug is kinda a hold over from the old choke carb models,they can still use the lower pods and but installed the efi plug in em,but also on some there is a plug in behind the plug for a 9 volt battery when using the Digital Wrench. The main hook up is under the front panel.1100-1200 rpm isn't bad,usually most of the ones I remember idled around 1180. Its usually in the sending unit if fuel isn't registering on the speedo. Some of the guys have torn into the sender and have repaired em. Plus there are complete replacement pumps available from Napa,etc Others can give you the Airtex pump number(one brand) if replacement is needed OPT

Old 06-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks OPT. What would be the cause of the shifter sticking/ being hard to go from gear to gear if the idle RPM's are ok? Can you tell me what the part number is of the replacement sending unit for he gas gauge?

Old 06-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Hard shifting could be clutch /belt related especially if rpms are around 1180 which is about normal.Does it creep in gear with no throttle?? Polaris just started offering replacement fuel pumps when I retired instead of having to buy the whole tank assembly with the pump on CERTAIN machines! BUT other posters have the correct aftermarket pump numbers that they have used. The sender is built into the fuel pump! Aftermarket pumps are cheaper than the Polaris ones. On the Polaris parts breakdown only machines made in late 2008 have been fitted with replaceable pumps and the Polaris part number,BUT it won't fit your machine. Hopefully others can give you the Airtex pump number they have used. OPT

Old 06-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Trailblazer

I just replaced the drive belt due to a broken belt and yes is does creep with giving ig gas. What is the 3 prong flat white connector under the headlight pod for?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This connector is just for testing electronics as it comes off the assembly line. We just tried to tuck em up under the pods! The 9 volt battery connector is usually tied off under the pod and only needed when using the Digital Wrench for reflashing,checking out,etc. Did you use an OEM Polaris belt? If so then creeping usually can be several things, one way bearing washers in front clutch worn OR rear clutch may need shimming to align with front clutch,OR you can check the front motor mount with a pry bar to see if the mount has separated,can cause problems also. Plus some owners have had a few problems with after market belts as to having slight differences on dimensions as OEM ones,can cause creeping also As long as rpms around 1100-1200 as you say,this is about normal (1180 rpms) was what I remember?. OPT

Old 06-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Trailblazer

I will check the mount and shims. I used an aftermarket belt. Thanks for all the info.