Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Hawkeye Internal Clutch Replacement Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 08:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't remember much more than the soreness in my back and knees
I know that I pulled the engine/tranny. I never did sell the Hawkeye, if fact I rode it from the barn to the house and back to the barn just today. My wife has physical problems that keep her from riding it. It was bought for her to start with. I haven't sold it because they don't bring much, and it's handy now and then. Good luck with yours.
Good to see you're still kicking OPT. Hang in there, and thanks again. Gary

Old 01-05-2017, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Gary,
Thanks for chiming in. I read probably every post on the internet about the Hawkeye clutch noise. It seems many just keep riding the quad with it knocking and call it normal. I think I am going to remove the trans, pull the clutch assembly out and check the one way bearing. The noise I have really sounds like a lower rod knock. It seems your noise was different. I'd like someone who had the knocking sound to confirm their's was the one way making the noise.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I replaced the one way bearing. It literally fell apart in my hand when I removed it. I was able to take just the trans out and left the motor in the frame. Removing the drive shaft gave me some trouble as it would not easily slip out of the trans, but other than that, it was a piece of cake. It really was not that bad of a job. I am happy to say it was the source of my knocking noise. All is good now. I would still not describe the clutch as being quiet, but I guess that is just the design.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Glad it's fixed. People dread repair work for the first time until they tackle it then discover it's usually not that bad. Plus gives you a little experience..

Old 07-04-2022, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Reviving this thread to add information for anyone with a Hawkeye. Ours had a knock when we bought it, and the owners claimed it was normal. We rode it 150 miles, and it lost drive. The CVT system was fine, but the centrifugal clutch was destroyed. The clutch itself had exploded with springs and clips everywhere, but the knock and loss of drive was caused by the pins/rivets that hold the output shaft to the drum. Most of them sheared, and the drum was clunking against the shaft. When all had sheared, it just spun the drum and not the shaft. Hope this helps!