Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

03 polaris 600 twin one spark

Old 01-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 polaris 600 twin one spark

Hi, New here and hoping to get a little help with my sportsman, I pulled it out the other night to plow my driveway, let it warm up and made one swipe down the driveway backed up and dropped my plow the machine stalled, it would not restart. I have read many post's on here and didn't quite find my problem listed. Here is what I have, pulled it apart and did a fwe of the test's I found on here. What I have is when you turn the key, it has real good spark but only once then nothing. I keep hearing about the updated stator kit for a little over $400, hoping that I can get away with a lesser cost and just get my wheeler running to plow with. I don't have the money to invest right now but will have in the spring and will do the new system in the spring.
thanks Rich

Old 01-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't bother with any tests on the Ducati ignition system and don't buy any new/used Ducati parts on Ebay!! You'll just be throwing money away. #2202603 is the replacement Kokusan ignition kit for the 600. Look at several of the posts on 600 and 700 ignition problems on this and other forums. I know money's tight for a lot of people,but this ignition can leave you stranded. If the coil pack doesn't go out then the stator usually will! OPT

Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I was afraid of that 1 initial spark was the stator was going. I will go to my local shop and see about getting the part, is there a good site I might be able to get it on? Thanks for the quick response OPT.
I do like my machine and have tried to keep it up good. The speedo has never worked it wasn't working when I got just never fixed it. I think it has something to do with the left handle bar switch.
Again thanks Rich

Old 01-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

It's not just a part! It's a whole new ignition system that includes the stator,flywheel,cdi,coil,regulator/rectifier,wire jumpers and instructions.You can check Cheap Cycle Parts on the kit # as some have posted they have the cheapest price. A little less than $450. Speedo problem could be because of this system? Get the ignition kit before you do anything about the speedo. OPT

Old 01-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I realize what the part\part's are, I have done most all my own work on the many machine's I have had over the year's. I have also looked up the part # you posted on one of the other post's you replied to. I found a video where someone replaced the same type of part on a 500 ho, mine can't be much different than that job, and it come's with instruction's. Thanks for all your help OTP I will bookmark this site and visit often.
Thanks Rich
1991 FXDB Dyna Glide

Old 01-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds familar... had this same problem in November on my 03 Sportsman 700 while riding the Hatfield and McCoy Trails in WV. I was lucky, I already survived over 4,500 miles before my stator went. Friends of mine had already replaced their stators with less than 1000 miles on them. One morning we were getting ready to go out on the trails, and the machine just stopped running. It was the stator... $600.00 to get it fixed. I was stuck so I had no choice. Just glad it happened at the camp and not 50 miles out on the trails. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, its not a big deal to replace. Good Luck..

Old 01-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

After I changed mine it was amazing to see how much better it ran overall. It definately sucks to spend that much money but if you are having ignition problems this is the best solution. I ordered mine from Cheap cycle parts and I have to say that when I received it, it had some damge on 1 of the plastic plug parts. Cheap cycle parts took the part back(no return shipping costs) and sent a new one right away. I would use them again....Good Luck