Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

95 Polaris 400...a couple issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You don't have to use a gasket,just a good gasket sealant. Most models didn't even have a recoil gasket. List: Gasket Makers | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Item #11 on the recoil assy. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 06-14-2013, 01:02 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O okay, thanks.

I got the new throttle cable all hooked up is there a specific way it has to be strapped?
For the oil pump i installed the cable however im not sure if it is right or not, i will try and post a pic. I took a pic of the cable at rest and one with the thumb throttle depressed all the way.

For the locknuts type things on the 3 cable ends I went tightened them right up is that correct?

O and for my rear break adjusting the pedal didnt help anything the pads still do not move, any ideas on what could be causing that?

Also, I am having an extremely tough time installing the middle (4wd) chain back onto both the sprockets is there special way to reinstall the chain?

For the oil pump cover I am having a hard time putting it on b/c the gasket keeps slipping, could I use some of that permatex aviation gasket stuff to hold it in place?

Thanks!

Old 06-14-2013, 01:05 AM
Trailblazer

Edit: not sure how to post pictures so ill explain it the best i can. I took the end (little metal cylinder) and went through the last 'hook' like the last cable was. Now the way it sits it looks like it did before but im not sure about the marks you talked about earlier, I didnt see any marks.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

On the center chain you need to loosen the middle housing to be able to slip the chain on,then adjust to about 1/4-3/8" slack. When you do this the front chain will loosen and has to be tightened. If the rear brake adjustment doesn't help,the caliper piston could be frozen. Yes you can use some sealant on the oil pump gasket. You need to down load this pdf service manual and will help you on most of your problems on the 400.Index of /ORV Manuals/Polaris/1985-1995 - All Models

Old 06-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer

I will print that off asap thank OTP! I do have a clymer manual but I find it doesn't tell me exactly what I need to do....also im a noob at this whole mechanic thing. Im on a steep uphill of the learning curve right now but thats ok I like learning!

One more question otp, can I run the quad without the oil pump cover on? It didn't seem like it was full with oil when i opened it. Also the cover was a tad bit rusty.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The oil pump cover needs to be on and the more you seal it the better!!The rubber gasket isn't enough by itself.Just add a layer a of sealant around it. This was one of the problems on the 400 with the pump at the front of the machine.Also the oil pump lines may seep oil over time,but it shouldn't have a lot of oil in the housing. If it does make sure the pump is mounted tight,bleed screw is tight,and the oil lines and clamps are ok.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer

I am having troubles trying to loosen the middle housing, it looks like in the front sprocket has to be on so now it makes sense to me where i put the punch. However, since the front sprocket doesnt have the chain on it how will it loosen the housing? Should i have the machine in AWD?

Old 06-14-2013, 10:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just loosen the two 5/8" bolts an the center carrier. You can use a punch on the small tabs at the top(don't break them) or in the carrier slot to move the carrier FORWARD toward the front of the machine to loosen it to where you can get the chain on. Just read the pdf link I gave you,it describes what to do..

Old 06-15-2013, 01:58 AM
Trailblazer

I did have the printout of section 5.4 but it explained loosening everything by rocking the quad? I guess I was looking in the wrong area, but good news is got the chain back on my uncle ended up getting it , he put the front sprocket on slightly then somehow got the rear on and then pushed them both all the way in.

So now I got the plastics all and i took it for a little test ride around the back yard, the only thing that seems to be different is theres a odd noise coming from the clutch cover area, the noise goes away if i put my pressure on the cover with my hand or if i blip the throttle art a certain rpm the noise goes away......I guess the best thing for me to do is to pull the clutch cover...do i have to take the skid plate to access the bottom bolts on the cover?

Old 06-15-2013, 06:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Warped clutch covers were a problem on the older models. They would get hot and sag touching the drive clutch. Once off idle,the clutch moves back and the noise is gone. You can try to move the small "L" bracket at the bottom of the clutch backing plate to see if it helps or find a used later model clutch cover on Ebay. Most covers will work,doesn't have to be for your model.

Quick Reply: 95 Polaris 400...a couple issues