Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

New Bottom End 07' Sportsman 800??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Bottom End 07' Sportsman 800??

Hey Guys,

I posted this in another area of the forum as I am new here and did not see this area of the forum. This is where I think I want to get for discussing the issue I am having below. I guess its not merely an issue its a colossal F UP

I was out riding last weekend and I got stuck in a bog. The bike was running and stalled. I winched out off battery power, started it up, it made some nasty noises and stalled again. It was also smoking which made me think it might be belt. There was power from battery (lights and winch) but would not turn over. I left it, checked oil... milky. So I got it towed back to camp.

Got it home, drained some nastiness from the engine. Tore it down, checked plugs...fine. Cycled 2 litres oil through it, with plugs out I turned it over a few times (no water came out). Drained oil, still kinda nasty. Did same thing again, turned over 10 times or so. drained it, cleaner now.

So I put plugs back in, fired it up no problem and no smoking. Ran for 5 seconds or so and heard a knock (not too loud but not sure how loud is too loud), changed oil again. much cleaner. I had noticed some tiny chards of brass looking substance (babit material I was told). new oil again, started it up. It has a knock, and a screech (either from the clutch or the muffler?) off and on. Doesnt run well and stalls. Its very weak when I touch the throttle. I didnt leave it on too long for fear it would get worse.

Do you think I am totally screwed? I expect at very least a bearing redo, but if crank is screwed does it knock really loud? Also would the pistons and rings be shot, in which case, would I be looking at a new motor? I have a sickening feeling in my gut about this. It was my first time out with this and I saved for 2 years to afford this machine. Wife gonna kill me!

Any help you can suggest would be greatly appreciated. If you know anyone on the forum that you could send my way that would be awesome. Also likely going to be looking for parts most likely. I live in Alberta.

Thanks,

Bobby

Old 07-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

First off I'd pull the drive clutch to eliminate it as the source of the noise since you're not sure. If it still knocks,then best to pull the top end off to find the problem. The answer is yes,if a rod bearing goes out there will be a loud knocking,but it's possible a crank shaft plain bearing wear could be the problem on the noise and may not be the crank shaft itself which is quite expensive. Item #8,9 and 22 are the bearings.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 07-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Does not appear to be the clutch. The knock is not too loud, more of a ticking. It idles ok for a bit, bust giving it gas it feels like its struggling and stalls. Ive only tried this a couple times as I am worried it will cause further damage.

I have stripped the rest of the plastic and racks off, clutch case is off, and I am not sure what to do next. Not the handiest with mechanics.

Short of tearing it apart myself is there any further diagnostics to see how deep in this S%&* mess I am in?

From the initial stall to the start up and me turning if off, it maybe ran for 20-30 seconds twice, then a few mins before it wouldnt turn over at all.

The gray sludge that came out of the bottom end was not really gritty, but definietly was not just plain water. It was a mud puddle afterall.

The brass looking pieces were more like tiny flakes, biggest one was 1/16" max and more of a shaving than a chunk.

When the spark plugs came out, they were perfectly clean, and no sign of that nasty gray water/oil mixture. If water/mud got in, wouldnt it have to pass the top end to get to the bottom end? It did not appear to be hyrdo locked but I am by no means an expert. I dont understand how it would come straight to the bottom end if it did.

Also should mention that there was oil/mixture on the plastic around the dip stick area. Would all that extra fluid expel itself through the dip stick line? It does not appear to leak from any areas now that it has clean oil in it.

Thanks for patience in dealing with a newbie. This is my first quad and it was my first time out with it so I feel like a dumb *** that blew a bunch of money on a single 5 km ride and just cant rest easy until I figure this mess out.

Cheers!

Old 07-23-2013, 01:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Too much oil/water mix can come back up the dipstick tube along with leaking at the o-ring at the base of the dip stick. Think you really need to tear it down to find out how much damage. Could be pistons have taken the brunt of the damage,but sludge in the bottom end isn't good on the crank,bearings either.The longer you wait,the more the frustration.Best to tear it down and see what you're up against. I've been there plenty of times on my own "stuff" over the years. You really need a good manual if you do this yourself. Here's a cheap pdf for 5 bucks if you don't want a hard cover one just yet. Look it over as it goes step by step on the engine disassembly.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2007-Po...ce-Manual.html

Old 09-15-2013, 10:53 PM
Range Rover

sounds like what my 06 800 did and it ended up being an expensive fix but my cam was beat up and that was very expensive along with labor. You can review my posts and see. Not a cheap fix if you have my kind bad luck.

Good luck