Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Rebuilding an 1996 Sportsman 500 Engine

Old 09-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding an 1996 Sportsman 500 Engine

Hi guys and OPT,

I bought a used engine, but never again!

I've decided to return the engine to the seller and get my 675$ back.

I have a engine already torn down by Polaris and in a box full of engine parts.

I know i need to replace the Piston Head and rings, the crankshaft looks like it's in great shape, i want to replace some stuff so this engine will last a LONG time.

I don't want to spend 1k though...

So what should i be looking at?

Old 09-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Okay,here we go again.. Since you said the original engine was burnt up from lack of oil,take the crank shaft(don't assume it's still good) the cylinder, head,etc to a good machine shop/dealer to be checked out. The 4 valves alone are about 150 bucks at Cycle Parts Warehouse,not including what they will charge to lap and install the new valves and new valve guide seals,that is IF the head is still ok.A used head can run between $100-$200 on average. Plus you'll need a complete gasket kit with every gasket and seal including the water pump seal and oil seal that goes behind it. Try Ebay for kits or Cycle Parts Warehouse if you cant find a good gasket kit. The cylinder if damaged has to be measured for the over size piston that will clean the bore up. If they bore it over .0015 its too much! .0006 to .0018 is the average piston to cylinder clearance specs from the manual. .0024 is considered the service limit/ worn out!This piston is set up tight as most 4 strokes are. Look at the engine specifications in your manual on this carefully!This is something a machine shop must know! Wiseco piston kit is recommended as it's the best piston. About 150 bucks plus the machinist needs the piston to get an accurate bore and hone job. If it needs a new rod kit on the crank,it's about 100 bucks or so for a rod kit,plus labor to replace it and true up the crank. You can eliminate hassling with the cylinder if you can find something like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLARIS-SPORTSMAN-500-CYLINDER-PISTON-GASKET-TOP-END-KIT-SET-1996-2012-/330989193778?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d107e4a32&vxp=mtr Read your manual carefully on the engine assembly and torque settings as it must be done right! Depending on what the damage is on your old engine and the work that has to be subbed out to a machine shop/dealer,you may or may not be able to keep it under your estimate you want to spend....

Old 09-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Okay,here we go again.. Since you said the original engine was burnt up from lack of oil,take the crank shaft(don't assume it's still good) the cylinder, head,etc to a good machine shop/dealer to be checked out. The 4 valves alone are about 150 bucks at Cycle Parts Warehouse,not including what they will charge to lap and install the new valves and new valve guide seals,that is IF the head is still ok.A used head can run between $100-$200 on average. Plus you'll need a complete gasket kit with every gasket and seal including the water pump seal and oil seal that goes behind it. Try Ebay for kits or Cycle Parts Warehouse if you cant find a good gasket kit. The cylinder if damaged has to be measured for the over size piston that will clean the bore up. If they bore it over .0015 its too much! .0006 to .0018 is the average piston to cylinder clearance specs from the manual. .0024 is considered the service limit/ worn out!This piston is set up tight as most 4 strokes are. Look at the engine specifications in your manual on this carefully!This is something a machine shop must know! Wiseco piston kit is recommended as it's the best piston. About 150 bucks plus the machinist needs the piston to get an accurate bore and hone job. If it needs a new rod kit on the crank,it's about 100 bucks or so for a rod kit,plus labor to replace it and true up the crank. You can eliminate hassling with the cylinder if you can find something like this. Polaris Sportsman 500 Cylinder Piston Gasket Top End Kit Set 1996 2012 | eBay
Read your manual carefully on the engine assembly and torque settings as it must be done right! Depending on what the damage is on your old engine and the work that has to be subbed out to a machine shop/dealer,you may or may not be able to keep it under your estimate you want to spend....
I actually want to do it myself. Would i have to take it to a dealer?

Old 09-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Some things you cant do unless you have a boring machine,dial indicators and stand,a 20 ton press(if the crank or cylinder work is needed) along with a valve spring remover,lapping compound for the valves and a good knowledge on how to use all of the above!! Engine tolerances is down to the thousands of an inch or you can kiss good money goodby...

Old 09-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Range Rover

Sorry, i didn't seriously read it clearly enough.

How much does it cost to get it bored?