Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2013 850xp

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 850xp

I am having an issue with a re-occuring error code. 520194-7 (stuck throttle). THe machine currently has 1950 miles on it. From about 100-600 miles I had it into the dealer no less than seven times to get this fixed. They replaced everything to do with the throttle. The cable, the etc (I believe thats what the safety thing is called) Adjusted the cable several times and finally what fixed it till now was the TPS. They replaced it and the issue went away till now. Since I no longer have a warranty I am going to get this taken care of on my own. I have adjusted the cable several times without any success. Where should I focus my efforts next? I'm thinking the TPS voltage. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Look at the "sticky post" in this section on efi wiring issues. Could be your problem. Thin sensor wiring is the basic issue in this post that would rub bare or break internally(soft wires).
Polaris makes sensor harness kits but they're junk,mad with the same thin wiring.Most of the problem areas were tbap and tps harness and connectors,not the sensors themselves. Here's a link from the sticky post on reinforced wiring kits if you narrow it down to that. Only The Best

Old 10-31-2013, 07:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am going to order up a connector and go over all the wiring in the machine. I am sure if those wires are suspect there are others. Riding year round and sometimes in -30 degrees in the winter I dont want the machine letting me down. Thank you for the tips. I will let you know if it solves my issue.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Last question, can you provide the voltage spec at idle for the TPS? As long as I have the machine tore apart im going to make sure the sensor is set correctly too.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You really need the tps harness adapter that includes a regulator along with a connection for a 9 volt battery to measure the tps dc voltage correctly.If it hasn't been tampered with,it should be set correctly..

Old 11-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

so, I have it tore apart and the 2013 uses " flying lead" connectors. the wires direct wire into the sensor..... no plug. there is an 8" pigtail with a triangle shaped 3 wire connector on the end. my dealer had replaced this at one time.... the fix lasted about 800 miles. I am checking the sensor with an ohm meter per the service manual and am getting conflicting readings. pin 1-2 is supposed to be 1-5k ohms which I'm getting. 1-3 is supposed to be 5-1kohms.... and I'm getting a steady 5300 ohms. pins 2-3 are supposed to be getting the 5300 ohms but instead I'm seeing 1k to 4200. I'm going to bank probe the wires to see what voltage I'm getting in case maybe the service manual is wrong. in any case if the sensor is bad do you think I could switch to the 2012 version and use this new harness I got? thoughts on my readings?

Old 11-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

adjusted the tps voltage.... for a 2012 the manual says .71 volts, a 2013 .67. mine was set at .685. I know that's close and normally they have a .5 tolerance but the manual doesn't list any tolerance anymore. my 2009 manual lists a tolerance while my 2013 does not. I got it to .671v. I'm going to put dielectric on all the connections and hope for the best now.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Look at the efi section in your manual. It says 80% of the time efi problems are wiring not sensor related. Did you have the tps harness adapter to readjust the tps or try to do as some and measure vdc directly from the tps sensor? If you did the readings may not be correct! Don't forget this place as Polaris harness kits suck and will fail again! Only The Best The newer model tps sensors and wiring are one piece,but the t-bap has the same old connector and wiring,and is where most of electrical problems happen.At least the ones we had problems with.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I ordered the harness from only the best and the 2013 doesn't use one. the sensor is wired directly to a pigtail that plugs in about 8" away from the sensor. the only way to replace the tps sensor wiring on a 2013 is to replace the sensor unfortunately.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

But not the t-bap sensor! It still has the same connector and wiring issues.Hardly ever did we have a tps problem unless it was tampered with.

Quick Reply: 2013 850xp