Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

magnum rear hub question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great !!! let me know how it works out .

Old 09-14-2016, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hub swap questions

Originally Posted by capt bart
hello bakada - hear is what i know about the 03 predator hub swap . the predator hubs have the same shaft diameter and spline count as my stock magnum 500 hubs . where they differ is the predator hubs are just a little longer than the stock hubs and won't allow the castle nut to thread onto the axle far enough to let the cotter pin fit through the hole in the axle . if you know someone with a lathe or mill to counterbore the outside face of the hubs then this problem is an easy fix . the next problem you are likely to encounter is proper backspacing . apparently the hub to hub measurement on straight axle machines is less than the hub to hub measurement on the irs machines . i got around this problem by using factory polaris 12'' steel rear wheels with a 5+2 backspacing and flipping them around so that the tire valve is now on the inside and the wheel now has a 2+5 backspacing . this won't work with aluminum wheels and aftermarket wheels with the proper backspacing are not cheap or easy to find . i hope some of this information is helpful and your project goes well . capt bart
Has anyone found any other hubs that will work for the 4/4 to 4/156 swap? There has to be more options out there??