Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Carb help- Polaris sportsman 90

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Shifts
I changed the gear oil, cleaned out the engine and stuff since there was dirt and grime inside, cleaned the gas tank, bought a brand new carburetor, brand new spark plug, new head gasket, and new crankcase gasket. When I kick start it, it wil kick and the thing will spin (I forgot what it's called but I can see it spin real good because I have the case off) but the kick start lever will just sit there and I have to pull it up manually. Could that be from bad compression? Even though it spins good? Could I start it by roll starting it?
Sticking kick starters is a common thing on these little ones. All it is belt dust and dirt on the inside of the kick starter gears. Just pull the cover(leave the kick starter on the cover) blow out all dirt and dust then spray a little PB Blaster,WD40,ect first to free it up,then use a light coat of grease. The main thing is to be able to check compression. Manual shows that it must have 115 psi minimum. If compression is low,complete kits are available. Cheaper than trying to have one bored out and using an oversize oem piston. 125 bucks.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-End-Cylinder-Piston-Gasket-Kit-Set-2004-2005-2006-Polaris-Sportsman-90-/140954232293?hash=item20d186e5e5&vxp=mtr

Old 07-12-2015, 09:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clean inside the crank case? I already did clean the cover with PB blaster and water and I also cleaned the inside of the crank with just water. Should I do it again? I didn't see anything but I'll check it out one more time and clean it with PB blaster real good. Also if the compression is bad would I be able to roll start it?

Old 07-13-2015, 07:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Dont clean any internal part with water..the right clutch cover can come off just coverd the clutches not the engine.if you have the cylinder off flush the crank with kerosene then use 2 stroke oil to coat everything.IF the rod is ok just install a new top end. No you cant push start this machine..

Old 07-13-2015, 08:20 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll see what I can do and see if it will run. I'll try a few things. If I do the electric start will it crank even if the top end is bad?c

Old 07-13-2015, 08:41 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Shifts
I'll see what I can do and see if it will run. I'll try a few things. If I do the electric start will it crank even if the top end is bad?c
Yes if the battery is good,the starter interlock switch is good on the left brake control and the starter relay is ok. Low compression has nothing to do with the starter. If you're going to work on this thing a cheap 5 buck manual can show you step by step on repairs/maintenance.2005 Polaris Sportsman 90 Service Manual PDF Download