Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2006 polaris sportsman 450 battery not charging and other issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 polaris sportsman 450 battery not charging and other issues

I purchased 2006 sportsman 450. First concern with it was the way it ran..would bog down if hit throttle hard from dead stop. Sounds almost like a Rev limiter. If take off slow and slowly get wot it would do ok but doesn't seem to still run that great. Cleaned carb twice. It is spotless! Still does it...new fuel pump lines and filter...still does it. Tried taking the air filter off and trying it..didn't help. Then battery went dead. Has brand new battery, charged it tried it again. Found the battery is not charging. Would that also make it run the way it is running? I've checked every connection on bike. 11.6 volts when not running and bounces 11.6-12.1 while running. Tach not working and no 4 wheel drive. I'm guessing tach and awd is because of the charging issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated! At this point I'm lost. I did check ecm recall and it has been changed. Where do I go from here??

Old 07-28-2015, 04:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check all connections at the ecm and also that the battery and grounds are tight,but not unusual for the replacement US made Sure Power ecms to go out also.I replaced several on the same atvs that already had the recall done.Ecm controls charging,fan operation,auxilliary circuit protection along with having multiple circuit breakers and can cause all sorts of other problems.May or may not have anything to do with the display,but I'd replace the ecm and see what happens. At least it should keep the battery charged,any other problems you just take one at a time.Yes the awd goes through the speedo,but see what happens with a new ecm module first.http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2006-Polaris-Sportsman-and-Scrambler-400-450-500-OEM-Surepower-ECM-2005-PDM-/171576768506?hash=item27f2c5b7fa&vxp=mtr

Old 07-28-2015, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've checked all connections and just came back in from checking them again. All grounds are clean and tight. Speedometer works but not the tach or awd. Is there a way to test the stator?

Old 07-28-2015, 06:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by cody500ho
I've checked all connections and just came back in from checking them again. All grounds are clean and tight. Speedometer works but not the tach or awd. Is there a way to test the stator?
You can check to see if you have power to the gray wire at the front diff. If you do you can try to jump the brown(ground) wire to see if the awd works or jump the brown/white wire in the speedo harness to a good brown wire. If this doesn't help, could be the common problem on the plastic roller cages in the front diff that crack.Item #10 on the parts break down. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Aluminum roller cages are available to solve this if the roller cage is cracked.They show one here. Polaris Sprague Carrier / Front Roller Cage : Polaris : RZR 800 : RZR 800 Accessories Plus some have used John Deere replacemnts. Not sure if it works on the 450,but possible.
Amazon.com: John Deere MIA10667 Roll Cage and Arm Plate Polaris Alternative: Automotive Amazon.com: John Deere MIA10667 Roll Cage and Arm Plate Polaris Alternative: Automotive

Old 07-28-2015, 06:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll worry with the front end pulling after I have fixed the charging issue. Can stator be tested?

Old 07-28-2015, 06:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes it can be tested,but you need a good manual to show the specs plus has good trouble shooting guides along with wiring schematic.Hard to find free ones any more,but here's one for 5 bucks.2006 Polaris Sportsman 450 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 07-28-2015, 06:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. I think I have one downloaded on laptop. I'll check and see if I can figure it out tomorrow. Thanks

Old 08-04-2015, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Update...ordered new ecm. Installed with new wiring harness that came with it, still not charging! The next question is, would the cdi box have anything to do with it not charging? I'm about to order a new stator (didn't check the stator that's on it yet) but just wondering about the cdi before I do. Thanks for the help

Old 08-04-2015, 10:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Do the resistance test first on the stator that's covered in the manual. You also can do the alternator output test(ac amperage) that's in chapter 10 of the manual. Can narrow down if the stator charge coil is at fault on the charging. Cdi just gets the signal from the main stator ignition coil. It sends this signal to the coil that amplifies the spark.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. I've been to busy with work and other things to stop long enough to test anything. I put new ecm on at 9pm last night. Testing stator will be easier than changing it lol. Hoping to make the time to test it in next couple of days. I was thinking the cdi wouldn't have anything to do with the charging but wanted to make sure. Thanks for all of your help. Will update when I get something figured out.

Quick Reply: 2006 polaris sportsman 450 battery not charging and other issues