Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

02 sportsman dies if I try to accelerate.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 sportsman dies if I try to accelerate.

Hi everyone I am new here and hope someone can help me.
I have a 02 sportsman HO. the other day we were riding and it was starting to hesitate a little off and on through the end of the day. By the time our ride was over it would start and idle pretty well but as soon as you try to hit the throttle it dies (kind of a quick bog) This quad is kind of new to me and has been giving one problem after another but most of those I though were finally now behind me. Before now I have replaced the bendix ,starter,battery and a bolt and bushing in the rear suspension as well as the rubber diaphram in the top of the carb on the slide.

It had been running fine for about the first hour but in all honesty this is the first real ride I have been able to do since I bought it and started having troubles. It starts fine using the choke and runs with choke on at fast idle, take choke completely off and it idles.... all be it a little rough. I removed the top cap on the carb and pulled out diaphragm and slide, started machine let it idle then sprayed carb cleaner down throat and it will let me rev throttle as long as I keep feeding it some carb cleaner. Dies after carb cleaner used up. Pressing the reverse limiter switch seems to make no difference by the way.

For this most recent problem I have done the following:
changed the fuel filter
pulled line off fuel pump and turned over engine (fuel pumped out)
Removed carb and inspected jets (2x) and cleaned with carb cleaner including inserting fine wire into the jets. I can see light through the jets.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-09-2015, 08:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Still sounds like jets are still stopped up or needle and seat could be sticking.Plus might be worth it to dump the fuel or check for any water contamination. Water can do the same thing.plus I didn't just clean carbs. If I took a carb apart it gets a new carb kit. For less than the price of an oem needle and seat you can get a good Japanese Shindy carb kit that includes the needle and seat, jets,etc.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shindy-Carburetor-Kit-Polaris-Scrambler-500-1998-2002-Sportsman-500-01-02-Carb-/171504143629?hash=item27ee718d0d&vxp=mtr This carb can be a little tricky on setting the float level. With the carb sideways,float arm barely touching the needle plunger,the float must align with the carb body.

Attached Thumbnails 02 sportsman dies if I try to accelerate.-2471649347_b2a1a773d6.jpg  
Old 08-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Still sounds like jets are still stopped up or needle and seat could be sticking.Plus might be worth it to dump the fuel or check for any water contamination. Water can do the same thing.plus I didn't just clean carbs. If I took a carb apart it gets a new carb kit. For less than the price of an oem needle and seat you can get a good Japanese Shindy carb kit that includes the needle and seat, jets,etc.Shindy Carburetor Kit Polaris Scrambler 500 1998 2002 Sportsman 500 01 02 Carb | eBay This carb can be a little tricky on setting the float level. With the carb sideways,float arm barely touching the needle plunger,the float must align with the carb body.
Thanks for the reply, I have found what is likely the problem. After think more about this I released the needle jet was not hooked to the slide when I took it all apart. I totally did not even think anything of it at the time for some reason. (what an idiot!) So I have removed the needle as it seems the clip has come off for some reason, I will pick up a new clip tomorrow and put it all back in, that should really make a difference I can see the clip was in the middle slot so I will place the new one there to start with. I'm sure that will make things purr again.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Yep that can keep it from accelerating too..