Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2001 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O spark problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 09:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O spark problems

Hi, I need help because I'm about ready to burn my bike to the ground. So I was oblivious to the fact that a bike shouldn't be run when the recoil starter is broken as the rope can hook the pickup coil(trigger coil,pulsar coil-whatever you wan't to call it)(Of course I don't have a problem with my 98 kawasaki Bayou(can't kill the sucker)the spring for the recoil starter is broken but doesn't have any effect of course as there is no pickup coil-swear to god my 28 year old Kawasaki was built better than my sportsman :/).

Sure enough my bike moved like 5 feet and she cut out, upon inspection-the pickup coil was damaged(piece of plastic broke off of it and the little piece of metal sticking off of it worn down). Now, previously I replaced the solenoid because it was all rusted out, the regulator because one of the connections was corroded off and one black from being overloaded. After the fact- the plug, plug cable, plug cap, ignition coil to be safe, and recently a stator/pickup coil combo from caltric(I've read on this site that they are hit and a miss(so I may have to contact them for a refund(thanks paypal) and order another one from a different manufacturer but I'm currently at my wits end).

The bike has no spark but my lights work(except for the one in the pod which stopped working long before the this problem occurred) Starter motor is turning the engine over fine, the instruments on the speedo is working fine(lights and all), connections on the handle bars double checked and fine, bike won't keep it's charge(I assume it was because of the pickup coil ), I checked all the wires on the stator and pickup coil and matches the old stator and coil. Also I've read that the circuit breakers are Polaris' version of fuses more or less which is ridiculous. From what I can see, my bike has 2 breakers- one next to the solenoid and the other under the bonnette(hood). From what I've seen on youtube for checking these breakers is to have your machine's key turned on. I tried reading the breaker under the hood and got a reading of 7.4-8.9 instead of 12.0-12.4(this was in resistance or ohms so not too sure if I'm reading it right) but this was without the key on, I tried with the key on but it won't read the resistance so I'm not sure if that means that there is a short somewhere-this breaker is corroded so I dare say it needs to be replaced, the other one I haven't checked yet.

I inspected my flywheel's magnets to be sure and no damaged to the magnets(used a harmonic puller to take off the wheel to be safe). FYI the engine turns no problem-so no seizing has occurred. The only part I have not changed is the CDI but I'm at the point now that I don't know if I should change it or not and really I'm ready to drop this puppy off at the dealership and have them see what they can do. I checked the fuel lines and doesn't seem to be a blockage anywhere.

This is very discouraging as I like the bike and how she rides-but this is just over the top ridiculousness-Once shes running, shes going up for sale and will be the last time I buy a polaris bike(they do good with ski-doos though-I have a 700 edge classic fuel-injected and liquid cooled).

Just to let you know-shes not starting with the electric start or the pull-cord start(recoil starter). I'm not mechanically inclined(just go by what I can find online and such) so I really don't know what to do at this point. All help is appreciated and hope this is enough info to go by lol. I don't know why, but info for 2001 sportsmans is hard to come across-to make it worse-each years model is a little different than the last so not everything matches up info wise and makes it really difficult to get accurate info.

Please any and all help would be lovely, if I can't get it started by thursday-shes going in the shop because I've had enough of this horse radish lol.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:55 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes Caltric is hit and miss on electronics. Ricks is the best place that you can trust. Higher than the ones on ebay,but cheaper than the oem stators. https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com...et-stators.You might try pulling the black wire from the cdi and see if you have spark first. If you have spark then could be an ignition switch or left and control switch problem. The circuit breakers you and get at any auto supply for a few bucks.Rather than depending entirely on youtube videos that may not be right and other sources, get the manual and double check the trouble shooting check list along with stator specs and the wiring schematic.The resistance checks determine if the problem is in the stator,pick up coil,ignition coil,left control switch,etc. If these check out the possible a cdi problem. No viable test for it,that's why all the other items are eliminated first before you just randomly throw a cdi or other parts at it. A 10 buck manual can save you some grief.https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail....ce-manual-2001