Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

08 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI 4WD problems

Old 05-28-2017, 07:44 AM
Weekend warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never resolved my problem...
i took the front diff back out, took it apart and made sure everything was cleaned out like new.... I tested the coil in the workbench for ohms again and put 12v to it and it worked like it should.... Reinstalled back into the quad and have been tracing wires since.....
i printed off a service manual and have been reading the electrical and final drive chapters
The service manual says that the brown/white wire is my hot wire and grey is ground, but when testing with a test light, the brown/white wire is my ground like you said

Old 05-28-2017, 09:07 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

On some manuals the brown/white showed to be the power wire but I can't remember which year model(s) they were. Seems I ran into this same thing about a year ago when a member had a similar problem on wiring on his atv.He also mentioned what his manual said that and I don't know if this was a manual error or not. I tried looking for his posts but haven't found them so far and don't know if he found his problem. The gray wire as far back as the early hub mounted awd coils was always the power wire.The brown was ground and was changed to brown/white wire later on when the centralized diffs came out.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:58 PM
Weekend warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm not sure exactly what I did, i ran a separate ground wire from my battery to the front diff to see if that would do anything and nothing changed, so I was going to start cutting wires and put it on a relay so I could still use the factory switch, but give it a full 12 volts. But before I did that I put 12volts to the coil with my jumper box to see if it would lock the front diff up and it did, so for ***** & giggles, I plugged it back into the wiring harness and for some reason everything is working fine now, I still kept the ground wire from the battery on it, just tucked it nice and neat in the wiring harness.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Guess it needed a little persuading from the jumper box to finally kick in and start working..

Search this Thread