Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Polaris error code caused by throttle freeplay

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 10:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris error code caused by throttle freeplay

I have a 2012 Polaris 850 and I bought it with a code 520 194 3 which is a code for throttle safety voltage. The code was putting my machine into limp mode. I removed the cover off the throttle and tried to adjust the throttle to specs but the code kept coming back. So I finally put a zip tie in between the two little contacts on the throttle safety switch and disconnected the battery which resets the machine and the code didn't come back. So I'm confused, are the contacts in the throttle not supposed to make contact with eachother at idle? I tried to adjust mine so they weren't and I couldn't get them to not touch at idle. Thanks.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:36 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Unless the specs have changed the contacts are closed at idle on the 850,at least on the 2009 manual I have. Adjust the throttle cable to where you have 2-3 mm between the throttle arm and throttle stop pin.If in doubt just get the cheap 5 buck manual for the 2012 model.2012 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO Service Manual PDF Download You'll need it for other repairs/service.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:09 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Unless the specs have changed the contacts are closed at idle on the 850,at least on the 2009 manual I have. Adjust the throttle cable to where you have 2-3 mm between the throttle arm and throttle stop pin.If in doubt just get the cheap 5 buck manual for the 2012 model.2012 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO Service Manual PDF Download You'll need it for other repairs/service.
I guess if they are supposed to be closed that means something else could be acting up, tps might be at fault then. But I'll have to try adjusting it again. Thanks.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Unless you have the correct tps adjuster harness wouldn't touch the tps setting it as it's preset. D shape idle screw would have to be backed off and tps set back to original base setting then to the final idle adjustment with the idle screw.If you're having idle or throttle problems,check the wiring for any bare or soft feeling wires on the tps and tbap sensors.Sensors themselves weren't usually a problem area and don't think Polaris had any better connectors or wiring on the 2012 models than they did on earlier models.Otb makes better sensor harness repair kits than what Polaris offers and the 850 is included if needed.https://otbpowersports.com/products/

Old 08-20-2017, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer

I finally figured it out, it was not the throttle free play causing the problem. On the side of the throttle housing/4wd switch housing there is a connection going into it. Mine was really dirty and the pins were very loose. When I wiggled the connection the code would appear and disappear every time I turned the key on and off. I took the connection off and cleaned both sides of the connection, I put some electrical grease in the connection and then used some hot glue on the back side of the tab to hold the pins tight in the connection. Code disappeared and I haven't seen it since.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:45 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Glad you were able to find the source of the problem. Same sort of thing that would happen on the connectors on the left control switch.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Glad you were able to find the source of the problem. Same sort of thing that would happen on the connectors on the left control switch.
Yes i'm so glad I fixed this problem, but now I have a new code when I ride at high speeds and then let off sometimes . 520 194 7 is the new code i'm getting which is "stuck throttle cable" It doesnt come on everytime but every now and then it pops up and throws my machine into limp mode.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Cable connector may have been part of the problem but you may need a new throttle base also.Polaris 2009-2017 Sportsman 550 850 XP ATV Throttle Base Assy 2010359 New OEM

Old 06-13-2018, 12:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I found that every time I accelerated it would cut out, and I had the code 520194 FMI #3. High voltage.
I finally found that it had nothing to do with throttle adjustment, but in fact I had the multi wire pin backed out slightly next to the 4x4 selector switch. Operates perfect now.
~D