Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Electrical gremlin ARRRGHHHHHH

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical gremlin ARRRGHHHHHH

Damn it I've posted in the wrong forum could a Mod move this thread, please and thank you.
My ride
Polaris 2016 Sportsman 1000XP. long time visitor first time posting.

Sorry to here of OPT's passing I have used his valuable posts a few times to keep my bike out of the damn shop( which still happens far too often). Hopefully his knowledge will live on.
Been having electrical issues so took to dealer under warranty , dealer changed Voltage regulator and I have used it once in a very nice snowstorm. Parked it for couple weeks and went to go start it once weather had finally warmed up (warranty gone of course).
Turned key to on and could here a constant ticking coming form somewhere upfront, engine will turn over but not start. Found source of clicking and it was the relay to the fuel pump. Ah ha says I get new one go riding, alas not to be. Every relay i put into the pump spot clicks.
Cleaned battery terminals and chassis ground. all fuses are good, Voltages all read 12+ at the relays BUT the one that is clicking it sits at 9. Found corroded wires at the ignition switch, wire broke was held on by wishful thinking i believe and now I have no power at any of the 4 wires leading to the switch. ( can still jump the starter with screw driver but no start)
What is going on here?